Service? Service.

A place for the Admins to post announcements about upcoming events and changes in policy.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Service? Service.

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Hey y'all,

Per the discussion on the Service thread under Soapbox, I think it would be awesome for us to do some House of Hope-y service. Anyone interested should email me, or anyone who has a great idea for a Board group service project should email me.

byublacksheep at gmail dot com

Thanks,
The Black Sheep, one infant, seven toddlers, six preschoolers, two kindergartners, and a first grader
UnluckyStuntman

Re: Service? Service.

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

check aaaaand check.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Just a thought… and feel free to reject me as just being lazy. But I have a huge bag of stuffed animals that need to be washed and patched and it's gonna take me forever to get to it, because I've got twice that many that I'm keeping and the task is daunting. So it keeps being pushed back on my list of things to do. I would love help cleaning/stitching to give to House of Hope. Y'know, so they'll actually get them sometime this century. Could this maybe be part of the service project?
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

Dragon Lady - I'd totally be down for helping with that. I've got mad patching skills, although I've never washed a stuffed animal before - do you just throw them in the washing machine?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

UnluckyStuntman wrote:Dragon Lady - I'd totally be down for helping with that. I've got mad patching skills, although I've never washed a stuffed animal before - do you just throw them in the washing machine?
I… have no idea. That's another reason I've been procrastinating it. :D I think it might depend on the animal? Maybe I'll sort them and wash what I can in the washing machine, then see how big the project is.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Check the tags to be sure (if they still have tags), but most stuffed animals can go in the washing machine. This is only applicable when you're in a place like Utah, and not a place like Nova Scotia where they would never dry and they would get moldy inside.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Are you kidding me? I've had these animals since I was, like, 3. Which was many, many years ago. Decades, even. Even if the material for the tag is there, I doubt the writing is. :) Ok, some may be newer… I'm more worried about things like eyes and such sewed on than I am about them drying fully. Except my dryer is superlame. Yellow, can we get a new dryer now?
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I've got some toys to drop off. Just let me know when I can bring them down!
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Bob and I will be there, of course. Just let me know when.
Deus ab veritas
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I will also make an appearance, if I can.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

I am so good at knowing which animals to wash in machines and which by hand it's not even funny, and I love this idea. I have some costumes I can bring home that need some stitching as well.

And TheAnswerIs42, the answer is anytime. If you don't come during normal business hours, just pull up to the gate and push the button on the call box outside of the driver's side window, and say that you have some donations to drop off. Walk in the front door and give them to the person in the office to your left. Hopefully they'll give you a receipt and it's really important that you fill it out, even if you don't want the tax refund, because for some of our grants and things we have to provide matching funds, and in-kind donations count, but we cannot estimate their value.

Dragon Lady, let's figure out some details. Thanks for the idea!
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I'm home all day every day if anyone wants to make the jaunt to Orem, I offer my home. Outside of my place, timing gets trickier, just cuz I have to work around naptime for Dragon Baby. Evenings are a bit trickier. Tuesdays are usually good. Wednesdays would work, except I'd have to bring Dragon Baby, cuz Yellow will be at scouts. Half of the Thursdays work. Fridays and Saturdays are up for grabs. So we can either chat about this (just say hi anytime you see me on gchat), or figure out details in here. Let me know!
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I'm up for it, but I have evening classes everyday except Friday.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Dragon Lady wrote:
UnluckyStuntman wrote:Dragon Lady - I'd totally be down for helping with that. I've got mad patching skills, although I've never washed a stuffed animal before - do you just throw them in the washing machine?
I… have no idea. That's another reason I've been procrastinating it. :D I think it might depend on the animal? Maybe I'll sort them and wash what I can in the washing machine, then see how big the project is.
I asked my mother. She says to put them in a pillowcase to wash them and dry them. Use a non-chlorine bleach in the wash, and make sure they get completely dried.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

I'm carless. But any if we end up doing something, I'd totally come if I could find a ride?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Werf_Must wrote:I'm carless. But any if we end up doing something, I'd totally come if I could find a ride?
This is never a problem.
Deus ab veritas
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Marduk wrote:
Werf_Must wrote:I'm carless. But any if we end up doing something, I'd totally come if I could find a ride?
This is never a problem.
I would be in the same boat (or car, as the case may be) as Werfy, here. If anything is ever finalized, like a time or day, I'll finalize my ability to go.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Hmmm… so you're saying I should sort and wash these stuffed animals tomorrow so we know how much of a service project there actually is here, huh?

Fine.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

So . . . did anything ever come of this? I actually still have the toys in a small pile in my garage (ACK!) because I never go to Provo anymore (except for football games). But are we ever going down as a group to do any sort of service project? Wasn't there something about painting walls or something? Or should I just bring down the toys on my own?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I washed all the toys. Except two. One needs to be patched up first and one probably just needs to be tossed. But I'd love to get rid of them. They're just sitting in a sack in my hallway, taunting me.