Spammer - private messages

A place for the Admins to post announcements about upcoming events and changes in policy.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Spammer - private messages

Post by Laser Jock »

A spammer who recently signed up (and escaped our purging, when we deleted a bunch of spambots) sent spammy private messages to most of the forum users this morning. It was just a couple of links to some software they were trying to promote; the messages had the title "I need your help..." or "I need your advice!". I deleted the user (Sandrasype) and also deleted the private messages, for people who hadn't already seen and deleted the message.

However, the emails notifying people of the private messages had already gone out. So if you got an email about a private message from this user, and tried clicking on it only to be told that the private message couldn't be found, that's why.
Pilgrim

Re: Spammer - private messages

Post by Pilgrim »

Sounds like a desperate ploy to get inactive users to log back onto the boardboard. ;) That was the result, in any case! What's up, Boardies???
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Hi Pilgrim! What's up with you? :D I don't have much to relay on my end.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Pilgrim wrote:Sounds like a desperate ploy to get inactive users to log back onto the boardboard. ;) That was the result, in any case! What's up, Boardies???
Ha!

(As a side note, the reason I was alerted to this spammer is because I got dozens of error emails from the forum telling me that people's email addresses were wrong—it tried to send them an email notification of the private message but it couldn't. So just a heads up for anyone who sees this: if you want to get notifications, etc., make sure your email address on here is still right. :) )
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I ... kind of feel left out. I didn't get a notification. [sniff]