the fourth or the twenty-fourth

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Which is better?

The 4th of July
76%
Bastille Day
12%
Pioneer Day
12%

Total votes: 17

Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

the fourth or the twenty-fourth

Post by Unit of Energy »

http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=viewall&id=37576

So what is your favorite holiday, Independence day or Pioneer day? I rather prefer pioneer day. No, I'm not from Utah. Or any place that you would think of as having a high enough Mormon population to celebrate the Saints entering the Salt Lake Valley. But where I grew up every pioneer day, or rather the Saturday closest, the Museum opens its grounds and there a ton of activities and food and games. There's a parade with the primary children singing and people dress up. All this is done surrounded by buildings, most over a hundred years old. I have always found that this is a much more interesting way to spend a holiday than watching fireworks. I suppose I may change my mind, never having experianced a Utah 24th, but I will soon enough. Not this year though. I get to spend one last pioneer day with my family, dressed up in a skirt and bonnet, eating corndogs.
Briar Rose

Post by Briar Rose »

I much prefer the 4th in Utah. Then you get freedom festival, sleeping out on university avenue, and the BIG parade. Oddly enough, I like the 24th better when I'm at home in a state next to Utah. The stakes in my area all get together and have a big carnival, complete with rides, food, concerts, and fireworks, all free. I absolutely love it. My family all performs together and we have a blast (we're all singers.)
I will slay the dragon myself, thank you very much.
Tangerine

Post by Tangerine »

I vote 4th of July. This is the second year in a row that I've been in the UK for the 4th, and I miss fireworks so much!
bigthemat

Post by bigthemat »

where are you from that celebrated pioneer day if you are not from utah? I never heard of pioneer day until I came to utah, and still find it kind of weird. but i have nothing against being able to play with fireworks one more night of the year.
All music is folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing no song
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

In my hometown in Ohio our Ward usually had a 24th get-together on a Saturday near the holiday itself. All I remember was dressing up in pioneer costumes as a kid for a little parade thing. So yeah, non-Utah has little events, but only Church-run ones.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bigthemat wrote:where are you from that celebrated pioneer day if you are not from utah? I never heard of pioneer day until I came to utah, and still find it kind of weird. but i have nothing against being able to play with fireworks one more night of the year.
Apparently my new ward here in Maine celebrated it, too.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I'm from California. The church would put it on, but we'd have at the museum. The County said we couldn't use the museum this year so it was canceled. It was a sad day.
bigthemat

Post by bigthemat »

Katya wrote:
bigthemat wrote:where are you from that celebrated pioneer day if you are not from utah? I never heard of pioneer day until I came to utah, and still find it kind of weird. but i have nothing against being able to play with fireworks one more night of the year.
Apparently my new ward here in Maine celebrated it, too.
you're in maine?

go new england!
All music is folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing no song