Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NovemberEast

Re: Answers I liked

Post by NovemberEast »

84898 I couldn't have said it better than Luciana without being really mean about the use of shadeshirts.

True story:
I saw a picture with a girl wearing a white cotton shade shirt under a strapless low back wedding dress. She might as well have tied a puff paint sweatshirt around her waist, done her hair with neon curly shoelace scrunchies and bedazzled some flip flops to wear under it.

I am mean.

shade shirts do not really jive with formalwear

The only exception I saw was a nude shadeshirt under a sheer-ish wedding dress (instead of the nude cami/slip provided) from bhldn. It was actually kind of cool.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I actually don't mind the shade shirt under formalwear look. It's not something I would wear, but I don't think it looks bad most of the time and if it makes people like they are wearing clothes they like while maintaining what they think is modest, more power to them.

That dress in the question, though, would look really weird with a shade shirt under it.

However, if the questioner really wanted to, they could have it altered to add some wide straps to cover their garments in the same fabric of the dress. Off the shoulder tops with straps are a thing. Like this: Image
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

But things like this, I don't think they look bad. They just make me nostalgic for when I was in high school and wearing white shirts under spaghetti straps was a thing people did because it was considered cute, and it had nothing to do with modesty.

Portia

Post by Portia »

I wore a blazer over a sleeveless dress to the ballet today. Seems like a non-weird way to layer. Off the shoulder might be too chunky for that look, though.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Oh hey Goose Girl,

THE CARD TOTALLY DID GET BURNED.

This wasn't really by choice on my part. A longtime friend of mine snatched it from my hands, tore into bits, and then we decided that burning it in the parking lot sounded like the thing to do.

If I thought that would bring me closure,
ha
ha
ha
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/84933/
Tally wrote:You can trust me: I'm a linguistics major.
:D
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Today's puns were awesome, and I especially want to point out Auto-Surf's great Spanish puns translated into English! They read like anti-jokes, and they are hilarious in their weirdness. I don't know nearly enough Spanish to try and figure out what any of them were supposed to be punning on. It's wonderful.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Remember the "dumb deal-breakers" they discussed in the podcast? I'm glad I'm past that phase, because my boyfriend shuffling ALL his music from his iPod, which means a ridiculous amount of Spanish-language rock I don't understand, alt outfits from when I was in junior high, and freaking novelty songs.

I'M NOT A DUDE IN MY EARLY TO MID THIRTIES >.<
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/85046/

Good answers, all around, but I especially liked Ardilla's plug for The Chronicles of Chrestomanci and Rubik's plug for The Black Cauldron. Those are both great books.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Extrovert here! (You can tell because of the exclamation points and ALL CAPS.)

And darned if I didn't have to schedule "me time" tonight which is to pound out my graduate school statement of purpose. I'd WAY rather be at choir practice but a girl's gotta do.

I know I'm sad when my friends bail, but with the World's Most Introverted Roommate, I give her her space, you know? No biggie. Maybe your friends just need to mature.
Digit

Post by Digit »

It'd be nice to have #HamillProblems
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Why are some people always in crises? I really appreciatedTally M.'s fact-driven answer.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Ditto.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Woah getting a marriage license before either party has formally proposed? That's intense.
Digit

Post by Digit »

the idea that the party in Congressional power can simply ignore the process instituted by the Constitution until a time more convenient to them definitely has the potential to bite the entire party or system.
Makes me think of a quote from Scalia:
The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge.
Maybe the legislator who always likes the interpretations they reach of the rules is not a great legislator.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/85659/

The only way I ever consistently reduce my stress is through yoga class. Do you have a studio near you, Emiliana?
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Portia wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/85659/

The only way I ever consistently reduce my stress is through yoga class. Do you have a studio near you, Emiliana?
Yes. I may try that after I get the boot off...
Portia

Post by Portia »

RootsMapper is down for maintenance. But I went in and adjusted my progenitors so I can get accurate data.

My biological paternal great-grandparents emigrated during the Weimar Republic ... so I'm probably 50% German. Scottish, English, and Danish on the maternal side, afaik.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Portia wrote:RootsMapper is down for maintenance. But I went in and adjusted my progenitors so I can get accurate data.

My biological paternal great-grandparents emigrated during the Weimar Republic ... so I'm probably 50% German. Scottish, English, and Danish on the maternal side, afaik.
I hadn't seen RootsMapper before. It's pretty fun. Playing around with this confirmed what I expected: Mostly Switzerland (the most recent immigration), the UK, and the US. A lot of Germany too.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Violet wrote:
Portia wrote:RootsMapper is down for maintenance. But I went in and adjusted my progenitors so I can get accurate data.

I hadn't seen RootsMapper before. It's pretty fun. Playing around with this confirmed what I expected: Mostly Switzerland (the most recent immigration), the UK, and the US. A lot of Germany too.
I don't have very deep data.

United States: 6
Germany: 2