Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Portia »

yayfulness wrote:When I was scanning through the question and Zed's placeholder, I completely failed to catch that the dictionary definition she was referring to was for "fetish" and not "spatula."

That was confusing.
From the Latin spatulare ...

And we won't even go there
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

This question and its answers were hilarious to me. And you know why.

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/87677/
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

In fact, I only clean visibly dirty things if they're going to be significantly more difficult to clean after unpacking and living there for a few weeks. Like the insides of cupboards - if they're filthy, it makes more sense to clean them before putting stuff in them. But the shower? Moving the shampoo bottle isn't a ton of work. It can wait.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Craig Jessop wrote:This question and its answers were hilarious to me. And you know why.

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/87677/
Is it because meetinghouse cleaning standards suggest only cleaning that which is visibly dirty? Why should our homes be held to higher standards than meetinghouses? Like, we don't have to keep things temple clean all the time.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I just complain to management and make them send a cleaning crew. That's not my job.
Deus ab veritas
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

BQ 87798 - I believe my 4xgreat-grandfather is my husband's 5x great-grandfather (but different wives). I think this makes us 5th or 6th cousins once removed.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/87744/

Ardilla Feroz's answer ... it just kept going ... and going ... so amazingly over-the-top!
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Emiliana wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/87744/

Ardilla Feroz's answer ... it just kept going ... and going ... so amazingly over-the-top!
Inspired me to finally figure out how to change my WiFi network name. Right now I'm going with "ImNotaWitchImYourWifi" but I have lots of other options should I get bored of that!
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

C is for wrote:

Inspired me to finally figure out how to change my WiFi network name. Right now I'm going with "ImNotaWitchImYourWifi" but I have lots of other options should I get bored of that!
JK I went with "IDKWiSheSwallowedtheFi" because it feels slightly better, considering one of the reasons I'm changing is so the girls upstairs will finally start paying for the internet they're using. It's not YourWifi.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

C is for wrote:
C is for wrote:

JK I went with "IDKWiSheSwallowedtheFi" because it feels slightly better, considering one of the reasons I'm changing is so the girls upstairs will finally start paying for the internet they're using. It's not YourWifi.
My favorite is "PrettyFlyForAWifi." But ours is a pun on our last names that I'm pretty fond of, so I'm gonna keep it.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Ardilla wrote:I guess I'm including this partly because I'm mad at him right now, partly because I like to pretend on the Board that my life is something I consistently enjoy, something that's nice and full of witty banter, when really life just sucks a lot of the time. I'm mad at a lot of things and people and mad at myself for wanting to move out and I guess I just hope that some frustrated reader scanning through these responses at 3 AM maybe feels less alone in the world. It's okay to struggle. It's okay to be mad. It's okay to have life not be perfect, or even good. If you are trying, even if you just try sometimes, it is enough.
Thanks, dude. And this was what I was reading in the wee hours last night:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regine_Ol ... ierkegaard
Kierkegaard never fully recovered from his failed relationship with Regine. For a time in between their break-up and her marriage to Schlegel, they had polite and civil contact during daily walks and in church. These were mostly non-verbal on Kierkegaard's part and caused him great anxiety. ... It was during this time that Kierkegaard was formulating his own philosophy, as well as his first book, Either/Or.
I love that an entire school of philosophy rests on the shattered foundation of a failed relationship.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

BQ 87935 about someone processing their father's early, but not totally unexpected, death was answered very nicely, however, as someone who has had major medical issues and has been mocked for taking preventative measures, I can completely relate to the question asker. For some reason, my family thought it was strange and funny that I chose to reapply sunscreen at lunch while on a vacation at Disneyland. It's not like they forgot that I've already had cancer once and I won't apologize for trying to avoid getting it again. Besides, I'm blonde and pale and sunburns suck.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

Shrinky Dink wrote:BQ 87935 about someone processing their father's early, but not totally unexpected, death was answered very nicely, however, as someone who has had major medical issues and has been mocked for taking preventative measures, I can completely relate to the question asker. For some reason, my family thought it was strange and funny that I chose to reapply sunscreen at lunch while on a vacation at Disneyland. It's not like they forgot that I've already had cancer once and I won't apologize for trying to avoid getting it again. Besides, I'm blonde and pale and sunburns suck.
Sunburn DOES suck....so does cancer, but the immediacy of the sunburn is reason enough!!!

I thought the response made sense for someone who is single or without dependents/family to care for. The present/future payoff was an interesting point to ponder. But I think if you have kids or a spouse, neglecting self-care can have serious consequences for your loved ones future. That is reason to think twice.

It seems they are trying to prevent others from experiencing the pain they felt from losing someone which I find admirable.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

NovemberEast wrote:I thought the response made sense for someone who is single or without dependents/family to care for. The present/future payoff was an interesting point to ponder. But I think if you have kids or a spouse, neglecting self-care can have serious consequences for your loved ones future. That is reason to think twice.
That was more or less my reaction too. If you choose to get married, you choose to take on the responsibilities of having a spouse, one of which is to not put your spouse at unnecessary and avoidable risk due to your behavior, unless that's something your spouse is okay with. If you choose to have children, then at least as long as they are your dependents, you have an even more significant obligation to not put them at unnecessary and avoidable risk because they don't have the option to consent to it.

That said, life is complicated, every situation is unique, and in the end everyone has to make their own decisions and accept the consequences. I'm just trying to offer a generalized perspective.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

"In sickness or in health" can mean dealing with YOUR sickness properly
Portia

Post by Portia »

Candid non-Canadian is a very ... odd ... individual, and I find his/her attitude towards the gorgeous & openminded province of Vancouver to be at best irritating. But Zed and Sheebs continue to deliver the goods.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Vancouver is a city. British Columbia is a province.

Candid needs to realize that Vancouver is to Canada as San Francisco is to the USA.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Zedability wrote:Vancouver is a city. British Columbia is a province.

Candid needs to realize that Vancouver is to Canada as San Francisco is to the USA.
Dammit I knew that. >_< I always got confused because I dated a guy for a long time who grew up in Vancouver, Wash and I have an uncle who lives on Vancouver Island.

LOOK WE GET IT MR. VANCOUVER WAS COOL

And yeah if I ended up in San Fran for grad school I don't think I'd complain except about being homeless haha
coastal goddess liberal
Portia

Post by Portia »

I think Candid goes to UBC? This was on the website:

PARTNER
A term used to refer to a romantic partner. This term is often used to promote inclusivity, to make those with non-heterosexual orientations feel safer, and to raise awareness that there is still much progress to be made in regards to heteronormative assumptions. For example, if you are talking to a man, by saying “how long have you been with your partner?” rather than “how long have you been with your girlfriend?” you avoid the heteronormative assumption that this man would engage in a relationship with a woman. If the person happens to identify as straight, then no harm is done by using “partner”. However, if the man happens to identify as gay, by using “girlfriend” you may make them feel uncomfortable.

So it may be a Thing at werf's university.