Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Shrinky Dink

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Props to the guy for actually responding via the Board Comment Board to some of the comments/questions/concerns that were brought up in BQ 88295 about the "Universal Model." But, can I start laughing right now? Does this guy really think that "a review process for over almost two decades that included several dozen people" is thorough enough to postulate that the inner workings of the earth are water instead of various stages of iron, rock, and melting rock??

Also, if this guy really wants an LDS and scientific explanation for Noah's flood, we believe that the garden of Eden was in the Missouri area, so it's entirely possible that Noah was still somewhere in the current central United States. We also know that at some point, the Mississippi River has flooded (it's hard to tell when, possibly because of glacier melt off or something) and the Mississippi River flood plain is easily a hundred miles wide. It is entirely possible/plausible that Noah got caught up in a flood, it looked like it covered the whole earth to him, he got washed out to the Gulf of Mexico, and ended up on Mt Sinai. Explanation provided by my husband who has been studying Geology for the last four years at BYU-I.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

I'd give the guy a lot more credibility (as an honest person, not as a correct person) if he was willing to debate his contentions rather than refute everything with "read my book!"

As I type these words on a glowing screen that is about to send them through the air to put them on a server to be read by people from nearly anywhere in the world, before getting in my vehicle that runs on exploding ancient animal remains, I'm pretty happy living in this Scientific Dark Age myself.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Can I confess something?

I still think Harambe jokes are funny.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

If you don't take the Bible literally, you don't have to worry about where Adam's rib went, how all the animals got on the ark (and off!), how people lived to be hundreds of years old, how the earth was made in 6 days, or where Neanderthals fit into the world.

Letting go of the Bible being literally true was very liberating and spiritually fulfilling to me.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Whistler wrote:If you don't take the Bible literally, you don't have to worry about where Adam's rib went, how all the animals got on the ark (and off!), how people lived to be hundreds of years old, how the earth was made in 6 days, or where Neanderthals fit into the world.

Letting go of the Bible being literally true was very liberating and spiritually fulfilling to me.
I don't take the bible literally most of the time. Jesus taught with parables and fictional stories, it is quite plausible that other prophets taught with parables and fictional stories as well.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I thought the answers to the woman who doesn't want a kid knocked it out of the park.

I agree with Anne that many things worth doing don't come down to simple "do I want to?" questions: moral choices often involve a much more rigorous assessment. And it's nice to not have schmaltz, she didn't tell the reader she'd wake up different.

I like April Ludgate's kind of no nonsense deadpan voice. I think it's awesome more women at BYU seem to be taking the time for their personal development first.

Luciana is way braver than I am (conformism FTW!).

I have struggled enough with my feelings on this as an inactive person -- I admire anyone who is willing to seriously engage with the sacrifices or ambivalent feelings that active LDS women hold.

I will grant that the LDS Wasatch front culture has a strong informal childcare network which I could never hope to duplicate. Not that that would be decisive but that it may be a mitigating/explanatory factor.

I don't think I have a calling to motherhood but I am seeking out whatever higher ideals inspire me.

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/88477/

And merry Christmas, all! And to all a good night!
wryness

Post by wryness »

I'm still not sure if putting a laser pointer in your eye is a good idea or not:
http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/88684/

:)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/88691/

April Ludgate's answer about the ear/nose/throat connection. Relevant to my interests right now, as well, considering that I am trying really hard to keep my Eustachian tubes open while battling a cold, so that I don't get an ear infection like I did a few summers ago. I almost had to get tubes put in my ears, like they do to toddlers!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Portia wrote:
yayfulness wrote:When I was scanning through the question and Zed's placeholder, I completely failed to catch that the dictionary definition she was referring to was for "fetish" and not "spatula."

That was confusing.
From the Latin spatulare ...

And we won't even go there
I will never let the spatula fetish go. Looks like Mario Batali shares it. Heh.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ifsa0m/th ... ean-spicer
Amity

Post by Amity »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/88983/

OMG ZED THANK YOU. Mormons love their false dichotomies, and it absolutely drives me up a wall.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Loved the answers about dreaming! http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/89055/
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/89058/

Thanks, Zed. That made my day, week, whatever. I really appreciate it.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

TheBlackSheep wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/89058/

Thanks, Zed. That made my day, week, whatever. I really appreciate it.
Really though, I love you. :)
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Ditto, lady. <3
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Regarding BQ 85059, the easiest time to rob people in Provo (or Rexburg) would be on Sunday during church. I'm not sure I want to reveal the method that I think would work best for not getting caught, but either way, once you're inside there's probably 4-6 laptops, a TV, a whole bunch of movies, some expensive textbooks, and other stuff that shouldn't be too difficult to sell and you can shove everything but the TV into a backpack or two.

Honestly, I kind of enjoy taking the mind of a criminal and thinking of the best ways to terrorize a given population. it helps me think ahead and know what the best way is to protect myself from them, like locking your door on Sundays.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I am glad that Van Goff answered this question. I think that BYU would do well to officially sponsor an LGBT resource center and it wouldn't have to "endorse" any sexual activity any more than it's encouraged for us straight folks.

Being involved or active at all while being a minority much less a much-maligned one at a conformist campus sounds like an extra level of commitment to the Church and Gospel to me. The abortion comment came out of left field (I'm not trans, but I could get pregnant and the two cases aren't parallel at all?! Even if one found either decision morally or otherwise condemnable?), but helped me see what V.G. and others are putting up with.

Hope they don't run you out with their nonsense. Stay strong. #thumbsup

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/89130/
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Van Goff's answer about nutrition (http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/89179/) has a photo of one of my very favorite kids' series, Frog and Toad! I <3 Frog and Toad, and the "Will Power" story is my very, very favorite.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Agreed, Van Goff. 100% agreed.

(Rubik's salutation was also pretty great.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Shout-out to the kosher board board for leading me to this Tinder question. haha it's the worst

Fun fact, Tinder now auto-sorts your photos based on those which its creepy algorithm finds the most attractive.

I don't wear makeup that often and my weight naturally varies in an 8-ish pound rage over the year but I would LOVE to hear Mr. Milkshake's response to my face (oh you've been eating malt balls and cheese bread in bed haven't you?!) if he thought that counted as catfishing.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Portia wrote:Shout-out to the kosher board board for leading me to this Tinder question. haha it's the worst

Fun fact, Tinder now auto-sorts your photos based on those which its creepy algorithm finds the most attractive.

I don't wear makeup that often and my weight naturally varies in an 8-ish pound rage over the year but I would LOVE to hear Mr. Milkshake's response to my face (oh you've been eating malt balls and cheese bread in bed haven't you?!) if he thought that counted as catfishing.
lol @ "the kosher board board."