Me, Myself, and I

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

mic0

Me, Myself, and I

Post by mic0 »

This question is about liking yourself, and Divya takes the question to a different level, asserting that "liking/loving yourself" is a moot point because to like or love two people must be involved and "you" are an individual. I don't know how to phrase my thoughts, but maybe one of you psychology-leaning folks will understand. I definitely feel like two people - the one who thinks and the one who feels (and maybe even the one who feels physical things as opposed to mental ones). I have needs that conflict, and opinions that conflict, and at times I hate myself as if I were watching myself from afar. Other times, especially when I literally see a picture or video of myself, I think I'm alright. This duality makes me believe (1) humans are complex, and (2) you can have a relationship with "yourself." Further, that "you" and "your self" are not always the same.

Does this make sense? Is there any notion in the psychology literature that might talk more about this? I'm sure I'm not the first one who has felt this way. :D Anyway, as for the actual Board question and answer... Divya's answer is certainly one fine way to look at the problem. Once I started behaving authentically and trying to do things to make myself happy instead of others (e.g., the easiest one to demonstrate would be no longer going to church), I did feel much more content. Not necessarily "happier" (a controversial word, apparently!), but more content. Interestingly, Divya does use the idea of "part of yourself" that says mean things at the end of her answer.

Sorry for the rambliness! Would love to hear your thoughts.