Requirements for Monson Scholars

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Zedability

Re: Requirements for Monson Scholars

Post by Zedability »

It's not a BYU requirement, it's a general US immigration requirement for all universities
Violet

Post by Violet »

Whoops, I was talking about something else (I think)

The deposit policy was what I was referencing.
https://admissions.byu.edu/deposit-policy
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Yeah I think depositing $4000 is also a federal requirement.
wryness

Post by wryness »

Showing a bank deposit of some kind is now a requirement when applying for all international student visas, regardless of the school. The amount is determined by the school and reported on immigration forms to the government. The student must then prove through financial statements that he/she or a sponsor has the required funds up front in liquid form. BYU doesn't want to have any problems with immigration so they follow everything to a T. I have heard of some sketchy ESL programs in Utah that don't, though...
Violet

Post by Violet »

Zedability wrote:Yeah I think depositing $4000 is also a federal requirement.
I just investigated my current school's international student requirements, and while they require the bank statement, the deposit is not a thing for them. There's a $100 fee for being an international student, but no deposit.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Yeah, the depositing $4K is a BYU thing. It did not exist when I went to BYU. I would not have been able to go. I was able to also borrow parents' bank statements to pretend I had whatever amount of money they wanted, but there was no way anyone in my family had $4K for me to deposit so I could go to school.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

So many of you with great scholarships and qualifications.
larry_wayne

Post by larry_wayne »

Haven't seen this thread in a while, eh?
I just thought I'd say this, in case it's relevant to anyone in the future:
These days, your application for admission to BYU (no separate application, and certainly no interviewing process) enters you into the academic scholarship awarding pool, which includes consideration for the Presidential Scholarship. As for me, BYU told me in March that they were likely to sponsor me with a National Merit scholarship, either the Monson or an equivalent to the Heritage. My academic data were good, so I suppose my essays/recommendations/extracurriculars were subpar. In any case, a National Merit scholarship will replace my current Heritage Scholarship in the June awarding cycle.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

congrats! your hard work and/or genius in high school is paying off! I wouldn't describe your accomplishments as subpar; receiving a scholarship is great news. I know I was really disappointed when I didn't qualify for the Hinckley scholarship my freshman year (because it included my GPA from PE, and one semester I was in the PE class for athletes, long story). But I was so blessed to receive a yearly scholarship that I was able to renew every year. Okay, I'll stop telling you how to feel now :oops:
Portia

Post by Portia »

larry_wayne wrote:Haven't seen this thread in a while, eh?
I just thought I'd say this, in case it's relevant to anyone in the future:
These days, your application for admission to BYU (no separate application, and certainly no interviewing process) enters you into the academic scholarship awarding pool, which includes consideration for the Presidential Scholarship. As for me, BYU told me in March that they were likely to sponsor me with a National Merit scholarship, either the Monson or an equivalent to the Heritage. My academic data were good, so I suppose my essays/recommendations/extracurriculars were subpar. In any case, a National Merit scholarship will replace my current Heritage Scholarship in the June awarding cycle.
Hey! I had both of these! Is it possible you could get both?
Violet

Post by Violet »

As far as I know (which is from my little brother and a few years old), the National Merit is only required to be like $300-500 per year. The way BYU does it, you can lose Heritage and Presidential scholarships. BYU puts you up to the Heritage/Presidential level you qualify for (so you only get one), but if you're National Merit, and drop below the 3.5 required to keep the Heritage/National Merit scholarship, you still get some money.

At least, this is what I understand. Someone with more recent knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong.