Math Classes Beyond 113

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Integrating Editor

Math Classes Beyond 113

Post by Integrating Editor »

Frère Rubik missed one of the easiest "more advanced" math classes. Math 300 (History of Math), in the words of one of the math professors, was co-opted by the Math Ed department, changing the focus from the mathematics itself to philosophies of math. That has made it an even less intimidating class for a non-mathematically inclined person than it was before. It's the class that math majors use for an easy elective if they don't want to go on in math. Also, the engineering math classes are generally a lot easier than the standard route (unless you really, really love proofs). So non-math people would probably prefer taking 300 and 302 to taking multivariable, diff equ, or linear algebra. That said, I loved those three classes, and they (with Math 290) were enough for me to be very sure by the end of freshman year that I wanted to spend my life doing math. I found them easy and interesting, and I would have been bored in the engineering math classes. So my personal recommendation is to take 290 and 313. I might be a bit . . . unusual, though.