BQ 82739 Kirby, Beer, and Swearing

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Shrinky Dink

BQ 82739 Kirby, Beer, and Swearing

Post by Shrinky Dink »

BQ 82709

I feel like this question could have gone a lot deeper. Here's a whole bunch of slightly questionable situations that pertain to this question.

One question that has a lot of people divided is, "Is it ok/appropriate for LDS farmers to sell their barley to beer manufacturers?" Due to Idaho's climate, rainfall, and other factors, it is one of the better areas for growing beer barley. Due to the beer industry, growing barley for beer is one of the safest crops you can grow (many beer companies will pay in advance even if the crop isn't perfect). In fact, there are a lot of LDS bishops and stake presidents who grow barley for and work directly for beer companies in Idaho.

My sister used to work as a bartender and later as the bar manager at a restaurant. This particular restaurant realized (as have many others) that LDS bartenders tend to be more honest and don't drink the merchandise as often as others. My sister had to frequent the liquor store often, but she never drank.

I worked at a grocery store and was required to sell alcohol and cigarettes to customers.

As for swearing, many men (and women) in the military are in an extremely stressful environment and tend to swear because of their job. It's not a job requirement to swear, but it happens. If a military member comes back from deployment or just a long training and lets an f-bomb loose, how bad is it?

Personally, I don't think Kirby has done really anything (at least that was listed in the post) that would affect his standing in the church. I think an LDS member in any above positions would be in fine standing with the church. Kirby is an actor. Heck, I even think it would be ok if he ended up being the murderer on some CSI type show. Granted, I think it would have been waayyy different if he agreed to participate in an adult X-rated film.

What does everyone else think? Would you work with beer for your job or swear if you were required to?

[This also reminds me, did anyone else find the BYU Psych shout out to be hilarious?]
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Whistler

Re: BQ 82739 Kirby, Beer, and Swearing

Post by Whistler »

Yeah, I don't feel strongly that any of those things (participating in the beer industry, swearing as part of your job as an actor) is wrong. If you start worrying down that path there is no end to the rabbit hole, especially if you don't want to support a company that sells other products you dislike.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Yeah, I'm with Whistler.

Also, I don't know why, but it's a little bit of a pet peeve of mine when people explain the vulgar language of those in the military or emergency personnel as being due to their very stressful jobs. (Shrinky Dink, my pet peeves have everything to do with my stuff; this is not a dig at you at any way.) I'm a huge proponent of using the F-word in everyday language. I don't know why, but I love to swear. Sure, it feels good to swear when bad things happen, but it also feels good to swear in the middle of any **bleeping** sentence. I've done some very stressful work in my day (I've been physically attacked by clients, I've personally taken clients' kids away, I've been in medical emergencies due to clients' lifestyles) and you know, I never had to swear as a result. But man, do I swear on my personal time. My boyfriend, who was in the Army and did a year in Iraq, confirms that swearing is just part of military culture and some of the Mormon soldiers didn't swear but others did. It just feels like a cop-out to me to define it as completely stress-related. People like to swear, it's fun, and it's kind of harmless. Nobody needs to protect the integrity of any sailor with a sailor's mouth by claiming he only does it because he's out there serving his country.

I guess I feel the same way about most of the examples given, but ehhh, I'm a crusty inactive type and swearing seemed like the least of all bads given. I just don't know why folks feel the need to dissect this. Everybody's got their own set of morals and can decide how they want and why does anybody else need to think about whether their choices are okay or whether they might make the same choice? Cross bridges when you come to them. Maybe I'm just grouchy because I decided to work for a for-profit substance abuse treatment facility and I'm currently raging about little ways I see money influence treatment decisions. I mean, I'm such a softie that I can't work for a for-profit company. It bothers me. I can, however, work with who I work with and help them get their kids back, even though I know most of them won't stay perfectly sober forever. So, you know. We each have our things and why does anybody's matter to anybody else?
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

TheBlackSheep wrote: We each have our things and why does anybody's matter to anybody else?
^That is perfect.

Generally, I feel like original question asker was being super judgmental about a situation that doesn't even matter or relate to them. I used the military example mainly in a response to the person who asked the question, especially since it seems that they're uncomfortable when someone swears on/for the job.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

My husband swears when it adds humour (sometimes BA or BS doesn't have quite the same ring to it) and its wearing off on me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I think he should be flogged and made an example of in the Main Street Plaza. Shame, Kirby, Shame!
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

My brother used to swear like a sailor, but now he's in the Navy and is an actual sailor and he doesn't swear anymore because he has kids.