Long Talkers

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Digit

Long Talkers

Post by Digit »

#82763 I bet there's an app for making your phone ring at a set time, like 30 minutes after you hit "go" just before walking into a person's house. "Ring! Ring!...I'm sorry, we need to go."
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Tally M.

Re: Long Talkers

Post by Tally M. »

I checked the Google Play store, and there's a decent number that could totally work.
Rainbow_connection

Post by Rainbow_connection »

I have a visiting teachee who's a long talker. When I have to meet with her I let her know upfront how long I can stay while leaving myself a buffer of about ten minutes. Then at the appointed time, I say we have to go and we stand up, which tends to speed along the goodbyes and final thoughts.
Alternately, you could just set an alarm on your phone and set it to use a regular-sounding ringtone and pretend you're getting a call.
Last edited by Rainbow_connection on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Or you schedule your visiting teaching appointments back to back. "We have to go teach Sofie now. It's been great talking to you." Then you move on. Less evasive technology, more strategic planning so you don't feel like pulling your hair out when you want to be done.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, but make sure you're on time for Sofie! Once my visiting teachers were half an hour late because of another appointment :-/
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

oh boy can I ever relate. I wouldn't say I hate it, but VT-ing is a trial of my patience for sure. I had a long talker until she moved last month. My companion would never agree to do back to back appointments after her because "sister, she needs us as long as she needs us."

UGGGHAAAARRGGGHHHHH! ...So many problems with that.

My companion was very quiet and pretty much was a-ok with our long talker so I had to tell her that I had something to do. She would ALWAYS ask me what I had to do and I don't think she appreciated that my reasons included "i have to work out" and "i have to eat." I mean...I think those are legit reasons to not stay in someones house for 3 hours after work.