82781- Chicken Pox and Judgement

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Concorde

82781- Chicken Pox and Judgement

Post by Concorde »

Okay, hold up a hot second, Yay. I just want to thank Haleakexplosion for his commentary. I had chicken pox as a child when I was four (about 1997). The vaccine was available, but it should be noted that at that point in time, like Haleaka said, it wasn't widely available, and when it was available, its efficacy was still questioned by doctors and parents alike. My mom had us all (at the time, an older brother and a younger brother) vaccinated, but when she was asked about the chicken pox vaccine, my mom hesitated because the doctor hesitated, saying it was still new and they weren't entirely sure about it.

So we weren't vaccinated. And my older brother got chicken pox from some kid at school, because hey! Guess what! We weren't the only ones who were still a little head shy about the vaccine. So my mom put all three of us together and we all got mild chicken pox, because my mom wanted to get it over with. I don't remember it even being bad. I just remember watching 101 Dalmatians (a movie I loved desperately) and being delighted that I was FINALLY a dalmatian because I had spots. For what's it worth, my mom had my two youngest siblings vaccinated for chicken pox, and they lost out on the the joys of being a dalmatian.

These types of chicken pox parties are absolutely not common today, partially because of herd immunity (which is why we should all continue to get vaccinated-- protect those who cannot, for some reason, be vaccinated- like my immuno-compromised little brother). But back then, there were even measles parties. Common childhood diseases were just easier to get over all at once and then you didn't have to deal with them again. Additionally, those diseases did tend to be more mild in childhood, like the corrector pointed out. Like Haleakala said, this doesn't make those types of events okay, but it does make them rational, considering the times. Today, chicken pox parties aren't a thing, because almost no one gets chicken pox anymore. So the whole "It's because we don't believe in science" thing is bunk, because when those parties actually happened, it was because the vaccine didn't exist, or people weren't sure about it yet-- and that DOESN'T mean they don't believe in science or are idiots, or whatever judgement you want to try and heap on them. It's something new, and it's perfectly reasonable to be hesitant at first.

I believe just as strongly in getting your kids vaccinated, but let's lay off on the judgement, okay?
Rainbow_connection

Re: 82781- Chicken Pox and Judgement

Post by Rainbow_connection »

I thought the question was referring to current people who are now (in the 2010s) holding chicken pox parties. I've heard that these are happening in anti-vax communities, although they might be apocryphal? I did find a handful of Facebook groups dedicated to "networking for chicken pox parties/exposure for natural immunity" but they don't have many members. Either way there is at least a perception that chicken pox parties are not just a thing of the past.
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

I would love to know how typical this thing is modernly, because I've never heard of it really happening at all in the past fifteen years. Previously, it was very common. Now it seems fairly unheard of.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

And I got the chicken pox before the vaccine existed. I don't have a problem with people having chicken pox parties when vaccines aren't a thing. But now they ARE a thing, and having a chicken pox party instead of getting your kids vaccinated is kind of like using a typewriter instead of a computer because you're afraid of computer viruses.

At the time, it seemed obvious to me that the question was asking about people's current practices. Looking back, that's still how I'd interpret it, but I also realize it is open to other interpretations.
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

Given how rare chicken pox is in the U.S. Right now (granted, not as rare as it should be), my natural inclination is to assume that these parties aren't really happening these days... Not with any notable frequency, anyway.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

That would make sense to me. I just read present-tense verbs in the question and I know anti-vaxxers still do [insert disease here] parties, so I assumed the question was asking about something that is happening now.
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

Ebola party, anyone?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Concorde wrote:Ebola party, anyone?
/r/outofcontext
Rainbow_connection

Post by Rainbow_connection »

I always forget that chickenpox is actually one word. Here's a group on Facebook that seems sincere and has 810 likes. Here's another website that you have to create an account for. I did, for science. It's not terribly active but the people seem sincere. Sample post:
"I am willing to drive anywhere in the DFW area (and beyond, if need be) to pick up a wild chicken pox virus for my 4 kids and give them the same natural immunity I have. Please post and let me know if you know of any going on.
Thanks for hosting this website, I was very relieved to find it!"
I would never judge people without access to a vaccine for having a chickenpox party, but I do judge anti-vaxxers.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interest tidbit. Jenner's first "vaccination" for smallpox was giving people cowpox by scratching their arm with a stick with cowpox on it. Cowpox is similar to but much more survivable than smallpox. Vaccination comes from vaca, for cow.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

to pick up a wild chicken pox virus
Wow. When it's phrased like that, I just imagine it's like some sort of pet the lady wants to pick up and bring home for her kids to play with. That's messed up.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Digit wrote:Vaccination comes from vaca, for cow.
And with that, you've made my day. :D
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Concorde wrote:
to pick up a wild chicken pox virus
Wow. When it's phrased like that, I just imagine it's like some sort of pet the lady wants to pick up and bring home for her kids to play with. That's messed up.
On the other hand, that phrasing makes me think of a Pokemon game. "A wild chicken-pox-virus appears! Pikachu uses lightning. It's super effective!"
Amity

Post by Amity »

Zedability wrote:On the other hand, that phrasing makes me think of a Pokemon game. "A wild chicken-pox-virus appears! Pikachu uses lightning. It's super effective!"
Gotta catch 'em all!
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Violet

Post by Violet »

Can we also mention that the varicella vaccine, at least in Utah and Idaho, at least up through the early 2000s wasn't required until 7th grade/Middle School ages? It's a Kindergarten shot now, but it wasn't for a long time. Even if your parents were up on the vaccine schedules for school, they may have missed it because it wasn't on the list.