Mormons and Gays

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Zedability

Re: Mormons and Gays

Post by Zedability »

Portia wrote:I hope that those who choose not to so participate can abstain from predictions of imminent societal downfall. Save it for the drought.
Apocalyptic reactions bug the crap out of me. Gay people have gotten married in Canada for ages and nobody is advocating for polygamy or oppressing churches or dying in earthquakes yet.

Or whatever the societal downfall du jour is these days.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Zedability wrote:Apocalyptic reactions bug the crap out of me. Gay people have gotten married in Canada for ages and nobody is advocating for polygamy or oppressing churches or dying in earthquakes yet.
You just reminded me this article that a friend of mine shared on Facebook a few months ago. She received a whole lot of backlash for sharing it, especially after the flaws in the article were pointed out in my 1500 word long comment. I think people are just really prone to falling for and using the slippery slope fallacy.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

If I had a year, I wouldn't be able to describe how many things in that article are misstated, exaggerated, false, or not applicable to the US to my satisfaction. Wow...
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Portia

Post by Portia »

Shrinky Dink wrote:Supreme Court Rules Same Sex Marriage a Right!

We're making progress guys!!
AND CUE THE HATEFUL BACKLASH. I will be hiding under the nearest rock til this one blows over and the pompous news releases die down.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Here's my favourite coverage so far:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/a-30 ... fects-you/

Embarrassing, but I cannot for the life of me remember how to make links here.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Don't know if any retired board writers want their Twitter handles or Facebook identities outed, but I was weirdly, amazingly touched by a couple of practicing Mormon Board friends of mine and their positive response to marriage equality. Go you! Keep being awesome!

Respecting the ability of your fellow citizens to make their life choices in regards to family formation and respecting the freaking constitutional process is HUGE. I, of course, favor a celebratory response, but even a respectful-and-willing-to-listen one is progress from my student days.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Portia wrote:Respecting the ability of your fellow citizens to make their life choices in regards to family formation and respecting the freaking constitutional process is HUGE. I, of course, favor a celebratory response, but even a respectful-and-willing-to-listen one is progress from my student days.
We believe we fought a freakin war in heaven for the right to choose. I feel it is only fair that we continue to fight for that right here on earth.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Shrinky Dink wrote:
Portia wrote:Respecting the ability of your fellow citizens to make their life choices in regards to family formation and respecting the freaking constitutional process is HUGE. I, of course, favor a celebratory response, but even a respectful-and-willing-to-listen one is progress from my student days.
We believe we fought a freakin war in heaven for the right to choose. I feel it is only fair that we continue to fight for that right here on earth.
This reminds me of a favorite cheesy 90s movie, City of Angels. Could be an interesting concept (pre-mortal gay star-crossed romance?).
Portia

Post by Portia »

And I think I basically just invented Angels in America. So, um, yeah.