wedding night horror...or just provo urban legends

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NovemberEast

wedding night horror...or just provo urban legends

Post by NovemberEast »

regarding #82983

I've heard my share of stories, but they all seem so dumb I think there's no way...but then maybe.

The worst I heard is how the couple didn't know what went where...and something about a belly button. Use your imagination.

Soapbox:
I get that having "THE TALK" is uncomfortable for most parents but that's no excuse to let their offspring leave the nest with little, no, or messed up information about such a basic thing. It's not just LDS parents who do this to their kids. I live in the Bible Belt and plenty of my friends grew up with whackadoo notions.
Zedability

Re: wedding night horror...or just provo urban legends

Post by Zedability »

I guess I did forget to include the story I heard about an LDS couple who both had never had the sex talk and thought that when the Bible said "lying together," it was literally just lying next to each other. They were very concerned about why they weren't getting pregnant and went to the Bishop like "Does God not trust us with a child???" and the Bishop eventually had to explain what sex was. (I think I actually heard this story on the Board)
Portia

Post by Portia »

My vote is urban legend.
Rainbow_connection

Post by Rainbow_connection »

I've heard both of those stories but with generic Christians instead of specifically Mormons. I vote urban legend too.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I tend to be skeptical just because seriously how hard could it possibly be to figure out??
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I once had a roommate who argued that all sex ed classes lead to increased sexual activity and promiscuity. He said that people shouldn't be given that information until they are married. When I suggested that people would figure it out on their own, and do things that felt good, and if they didn't learn about STIs and pregnancy and contraceptives that their sex would be more likely to have detrimental consequences, he told me that people needed to be taught how to have sex, otherwise they wouldn't know how.
Deus ab veritas
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Yes because the first thing I did when my parents told me about sex at 8 years old was to find someone to try it with. *eyeroll*
Rainbow_connection

Post by Rainbow_connection »

http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/fertility.asp
This is a snopes page about the "didn't know we have to have sex" legend.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

My husband told me about a friend of a friend (female) who was allergic to the lube they used and didn't know until she was severely uncomfortable. It took them out of the intimacy game for a day or two.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Marduk, love that circular reasoning! Hilarious.

Another vote for "definitely urban legends," because I've heard many of these stories before.

Shrinky Dink, oooh that sucks. :(
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Marduk, that reminds me of something I heard an old person say once. "Young people think they invented sex." Which, I mean, a lot of us kind of do. Or at least we embellish.