stand for truth (various questions on the front page)

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

stand for truth (various questions on the front page)

Post by Portia »

I sincerely hope that the men and women who view their stand against SCOTUS (does this extend to the ACA decision? Citizens United? I'd LOVE to see strongly worded letters about either issue, but no, I guess it doesn't involve sex) as a Brave Stand will extend the same courtesy to those of us who are firmly in the pro-marriage-equality camp. If you see a celebratory post on Twitter or something, maybe extend the benefit of the doubt and assume that person is good and brave and doesn't need to be dragged before the court of Provo opinion.

Being raised in Bellevue or Issaquah doesn't really make you an authority on (a) Constitutional Law (b) the experience of being non-straight. I'm not an expert on either, it's okay! But the implication is pretty damn strong that there's only One True Way to "follow the prophet," and frankly, I do not envy anyone who tries to go against the grain on this issue.

When Todd Christofferson appears to be more liberal on an issue than undergrads, I am ... surprised, to say the least.

OTOH, only 1 in 5 actually DISAGREED with the decision, so to me, that points to rapidly changing attitudes at BYU, even from my day.
Haleakalā

Re: stand for truth (various questions on the front page)

Post by Haleakalā »

Portia wrote:does this extend to the ACA decision? Citizens United? I'd LOVE to see strongly worded letters about either issue, but no, I guess it doesn't involve sex)
For the record, I would LOVE to see questions about King v. Burwell, citizens united, and other cases. But as a personal rule, I don't answer questions I've asked, and I guess our readership was only interested in Obergerfell.
Portia wrote:Being raised in Bellevue or Issaquah doesn't really make you an authority on (a) Constitutional Law
I should probably make it more clear that I'm not a lawyer and have only a layman's understanding when I answer these questions. Mostly I read lots of information from people who are constitutional scholars and are speaking to people like me as an intended audience, and then try to synthesize the arguments they provide when I answer these types of questions. I don't mean to pretend to know more than I do, I just find this kind of stuff really interesting.

If anyone ever finds anything inaccurate in something I've written email me or submit a correction. I really don't want to perpetuate false information.

Have a good day everyone!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Haleakalā wrote:
Portia wrote:does this extend to the ACA decision? Citizens United? I'd LOVE to see strongly worded letters about either issue, but no, I guess it doesn't involve sex)
For the record, I would LOVE to see questions about King v. Burwell, citizens united, and other cases. But as a personal rule, I don't answer questions I've asked, and I guess our readership was only interested in Obergerfell.
Portia wrote:Being raised in Bellevue or Issaquah doesn't really make you an authority on (a) Constitutional Law
I should probably make it more clear that I'm not a lawyer and have only a layman's understanding when I answer these questions. Mostly I read lots of information from people who are constitutional scholars and are speaking to people like me as an intended audience, and then try to synthesize the arguments they provide when I answer these types of questions. I don't mean to pretend to know more than I do, I just find this kind of stuff really interesting.

If anyone ever finds anything inaccurate in something I've written email me or submit a correction. I really don't want to perpetuate false information.

Have a good day everyone!
Maybe I'll have to ask a question then, because I've been wondering how Citizens United will affect the upcoming election and what exactly the ACA decision means (just that exchanges can't be taken down?

Didn't mean for my statement to be a personal attack on anyone: I guess I just feel that BYU students can be somewhat, well, naive when they want to be BOTH popular with the country at large AND have their unusual beliefs broadcast. Framing it merely in terms of "debate" misses a lot of vital, exciting, interesting questions.

It reminds me a bit of my snooty 14-year-old self who thought I would get a righteousness cookie for "not believing" in natural selection, whatever I thought THAT meant.

I don't think you, personally, are naive on legal issues, and your reasoning seems mostly sound (although of course I personally don't find Appeal to Prophetic Authority to be convincing, and would be disturbed to see that incorporated into the Constitution).
Portia

Post by Portia »

P.S. in regard to the ACA decision, this meme is very, very funny (moderate language warning).
Portia

Post by Portia »

And instead of worrying about righteousness cookies, I'd for one be relieved if we moved on to actually interesting legal questions, like these! (I read about this in the NYTimes, as well.) If I can't go successfully demand that BYU grant me married housing with my boyfriend*, I don't see how two married men could, especially if orientation isn't a protected class, which it isn't, right? Hasn't something similar come up about sex-segregated housing and sex discrimination?

http://bycommonconsent.com/2015/05/20/o ... exemption/

*who lives in, technically, BYU-approved housing. LOLOLOL
Haleakalā

Post by Haleakalā »

Portia wrote:Didn't mean for my statement to be a personal attack on anyone: I guess I just feel that BYU students can be somewhat, well, naive when they want to be BOTH popular with the country at large AND have their unusual beliefs broadcast. Framing it merely in terms of "debate" misses a lot of vital, exciting, interesting questions.
I really agree with you here. While I opposed the Supreme Court's decision, some of the comments made on social media by members of the Church have been wildly inappropriate. I've de-friended (unfriended?) a bunch of people over the last week, and nearly all were conservatives, not liberals. When I walk around campus and hear people say incorrect things about the SCOTUS decision, I correct them. Maybe that's too aggressive, but I feel like you should know what you're talking about before you criticize the institution, and few members of the Church that have been critical of the decision really do.

That's - in part - why I've tried to represent both sides recently. Since I'm kind of seen as the Board's "super conservative" writer, I hope that hearing that the opposite side has some merit from me will help other people realize that there's nuance here. I mean, I'm not saying you and I will ever really agree Portia, but I want you to know that I really do think you're right about this. The reactions of some people to the Court's ruling have been unacceptable, to put it charitably.
Portia wrote:Maybe I'll have to ask a question then, because I've been wondering how Citizens United will affect the upcoming election and what exactly the ACA decision means (just that exchanges can't be taken down?
I was SO HAPPY to see those questions in the inbox this morning! Thank you for asking them! I'll start working on them right away, though I don't always finish my SCOTUS answers on time. Also, I'll include a section explaining King v. Burwell, since that was one of my favorite cases this term, even though you didn't directly ask about it. Hope that's okay. :)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Go for it! I'm excited to see the responses! (And it's summer; no rush.)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Haleakalā wrote: That's - in part - why I've tried to represent both sides recently. Since I'm kind of seen as the Board's "super conservative" writer, I hope that hearing that the opposite side has some merit from me will help other people realize that there's nuance here. I mean, I'm not saying you and I will ever really agree Portia, but I want you to know that I really do think you're right about this. The reactions of some people to the Court's ruling have been unacceptable, to put it charitably.
Oohhh, I kept meaning say, I have loved these answers! It's so rare to hear anyone thoroughly and accurately present someone else's opinion, rather than just posing a straw-man argument.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Yes, H-dude (I'm too tired to try to spell right now), I always appreciate how well-thought out your answers are - overall, not just about this topic. Politically I couldn't be more different from you, but I always really appreciated well-described ideas from people that I disagree with. It reminds me that everyone has good intentions and basically wants the same kind of fundamental things, and what we actually disagree about is just how to get there.
Haleakalā

Post by Haleakalā »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/83111/

Citizens United answer. Thanks for asking this!!