early to bed and rise

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

early to bed and rise

Post by Portia »

As a followup, all the studies I've read show that one's chronotype is not terribly malleable and that moderate night people like myself really are better served by being able to sleep in as late as possible. I do my workouts in the evening/at night, and I know I'm extremely short-tempered if I'm forced to wake up early. I was able to rearrange my schedule so I didn't have classes til noon as a student, and immediately saw my grades shoot up. And I'm not nocturnal or anything: about 12:30 AM is my normal bedtime, but yeah, not going to be hopping out of bed four hours later for a run.
Whistler

Re: early to bed and rise

Post by Whistler »

yeah, my husband is definitely a night owl, which is sometimes hard because I can go either way, but I end up on an earlier schedule because of my baby
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

I'm mixed on how this has applied in my life, but I think it's most important to get *enough* sleep for your body. Whatever that means. The benefits touted by going to bed and getting up early seem similar to just getting the right amount of sleep.

I will say that in college I was NOT a morning person. Blame in on my age, environment, or college lifestyle...whatever. When I transitioned to the workplace my body was not pleased but I adapted to going to bed and getting up early over the course of a few months. Fast-forward to now, if I go to bed late or sleep late I'm groggy.

All of that aside, I still am not as alert in the morning as I am before I go to bed.
Portia

Post by Portia »

MORE people are night owls than larks. GRRRR

Does anyone else recognize themselves in the other two chronotypes? I'm definitely closest to Schrödinger - my highest energy is in the evening, and good on him for requesting the change. (if only ...)

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... es/382596/

Note: Link updated.
Last edited by Portia on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

page not found U_U
Violet

Post by Violet »

I like mornings once I'm up, but waking up is miserable. If I'm out and about by 6:30 or 7, I'm good until around 9:30am when I start to doze a little. If not, my average is moderately moving by 9:15, but very slow until around 10 and I hit the "I want a nap" wall around 2. All of this is with me going to bed around midnight. I just wish work schedules were more flexible. Not all of us are great at showing up exactly at 9am.