#83460 - Exercise you love, exercise you hate

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

#83460 - Exercise you love, exercise you hate

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/83460/

If anyone else wants to answer this questions, I'd love to get even more responses.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Re: #83460 - Exercise you love, exercise you hate

Post by Emiliana »

Love:
Hiking - cause mountains are the freaking best thing ever. When I lived in Uganda my house was at the base of a mountain and I miss that more than anything.
Walking - so many options! I can go on long meandering walks down to the river with the dogs or by myself or with friends! Or I can purposefully power-walk the track! I can listen to audiobooks! I can listen to music! I can listen to the crickets!
.....that's really about it for exercise I love.

Like well enough:
Swimming - feels good on the joints, even while it feels terrible on the lungs. (Also I live in Texas, where a "cold front" just brought today's expected high down to 99, so swimming is important.)
Yoga - I'm not crazy about it while I'm doing it, but I love the way I feel afterwards.
Jogging - I'm not very good at it, but you get a lot of bang for your buck in terms of calories burned, so I occasionally mix this in with my long meandering walks.
Basketball - I'm not any good, but I'm not as terrible as you would *expect* a short, uncoordinated, slightly obese white woman to be.

Hate:
Lifting weights - it hurts.
Running on a treadmill - it hurts, AND it's boring.
Virtually any other team sport - they're boring and I'm bad at them to the point that my teammates get grumpy with me. And I'm already grumpy about playing a team sport, so then everyone is grumpy.
Last edited by Emiliana on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Love: yoga, dance, hiking, longboarding

Like: swimming

Meh: weights

Hate: running
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Love: Hiking/walking. I especially like getting out into a natural setting like on the river trail or the mountains. Something about trees and nature soothes my soul. I love biking as well; I think it feels kind of like flying. I also like yoga and DDR for how I can get into the flow of a routine or song.

I like longboarding, but I haven't done it in a while and it's so fun/potentially dangerous that it's hard for me to consider it exercise.

Meh: Elliptical (we have one). Running--I haven't done it in a long time, but I could probably get back into it. Aerobics. Weightlifting would probably be good for me.

Hate: anything at the gym. Maybe when I have more kids I'll need a gym pass for the babysitting, but it's not my scene. It feels so mechanical and boring to sit there on a treadmill reading or listening to a podcast--like you're trying to ignore the fact that you're exercising (which can be an effective way to exercise!).
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

Love:
HIIT Circuits - they're fast and highly effective and mostly all I do except "rest" days when I...
Yoga -I feel great after
Pilates/Barre - it's nice for days I need a change of pace and gets all the muscles I would otherwise miss

Meh:
Swimming - the chlorine will ruin my hair and drying my hair is a pain. But I bet I'll be in to it when I'm old.
Running - I used to love it but I'm not supposed to anymore because of injuries.
Cycling - It's ok, but unless we're talking about spinning I wouldn't feel like I got a good workout in, and then that's kind of miserable.

Hate:
Hiking - it's just not efficient to me, unless we are talking a 30 min uphill stretch. But even that sounds miserable. Also it's hot where I live so anything outside is just not ok.
Elliptical - also not efficient for me because it's repetitive so I will get lazy and not push hard enough.
Team sports - also just not efficient. I need a full 30 minutes of pushing it to really feel like I've done something. Plus I always get hit with the ball.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Katya, I hope you're going to answer this, too! :)

Love:

Running - suckas! I used to hate it, now I actually really really enjoy it. I still feel silly calling myself a "runner" because I'm really slow, but whatever. :)
Badminton - It's between neutral and loving, I mean it is really just "like." But it is the main sport my husband and I do together and for that I really enjoy it. I do think that there is a lot of elitism at the place where I currently play and that bothers me to no end.
Walking - glad someone else put walking. :) Yes, love walking, alone, with people, in different settings. It's nice.

Meh:

Swimming - agreed about chlorine issues. But swimming laps is nice.
Tennis - it's fun and difficult and I feel like it is never the right temperature.
Lifting - I would like to do this more, but if I'm by myself then this is just way too boring. I've done lifting with a friend before and that was fun because we could chat between/during sets. Alone? SOOOO boring.

Hate:

Most competitive things that are inherently competitive. Team sports. This is part of what bothers me about badminton, people take it very seriously. I know that anything can be competitive, but exercise where it is just myself, no racing, are great, or if there are only two people then the competition is better somehow.

eta: yoga is firmly in the "meh" for me, and skiing is equivalent to badminton.
Last edited by mic0 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Love:
-Walking, especially at Disneyland or World. Treadmills are my friend because I can mindlessly have it go faster and I can still watch TV. I also have long legs and can walk pretty fast (I can walk 4-5mph easily) and exercise with a friend who walks/runs faster or slower than I do. (I would be perfectly satisfied on a treadmill or elliptical, eating a doughnut, and watching the Biggest Loser)
-Swimming, but mostly the recreational kind. I am especially good at treading water.
-Stationary bikes. Same reason as walking on a treadmill. I can have it automatically change the settings and I can watch TV. (As long as there is a bike with a comfortable seat.)

Meh:
-Working with a personal trainer/lifting weights. I was in an all girl body conditioning class in high school where we learned how to use the weights and set good exercise goals. While there was only one teacher, it was nice being in a setting where you knew exactly what you were going to do that day, that you were going to challenge yourself, and we were tracking our progress so it was easy to see improvement. I could plank for about 3 minutes after that class. It was great, but I don't have the money or the time commitment available right now.
-Volleyball. I like playing volleyball, it just doesn't really count as exercise.
-Basketball. It's a better workout than volleyball, but you have to be pretty evenly matched. It's also better when you're playing lightning/elimination or 3 on 3 so you have plenty of opportunities to shoot.

Hate:
-Gymnastics or anything with balance (kind of includes Yoga). I know I should do more balance and stretching stuff, but I've never been able to touch my toes (even in kindergarten) and I'm always really bad and awkward at Yoga so I feel uncomfortable.
-Snowboarding. I tried it and I hate it. I would much rather sit in the lodge drinking hot cocoa and playing cards. If anyone asks me to snowboard, I'll laugh and grab my skis and spend my day on the easiest groomed trails before retreating to the lodge.
-Running on stairs or bleachers is the worst!!
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Portia

Post by Portia »

Snowboarding is actually in the "I'd die for it" love category. Would much rather be doing that than pretty much any other thing, ever. Sad I missed out on my window of opportunity to be a snowboard bum.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

oh, I feel the same way about boogie boarding. I wish I could do it every day.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Love:
Yoga! It helps me learn to control my breathing, increases my flexibility, and just makes me feel all around good.
Weight lifting. The first and so far only time in my life I've touched my toes without bending my knees was after a good, hearty bout of lifting in the class I had last semester. I loved doing circuits (didn't have time to get bored!), exploring different exercises, and feeling like I was actually improving my body.
Swimming. This one's kinda on the edge, because I don't like the fuss that goes into it, but the actual time in the water I love.

Hate:
Sports. Mostly because I'm terrible at them.
Anything steep. I'm just not in shape enough for it to be anything but horrible.

Meh:
Hiking. I love the beauty of nature, but if the hike is at all difficult I just can't. This saddens Random to no end.
Running. I like how a good, paced bout can feel, but if I push at all (or do it outside on a too-hot day) I feel like I'm dying. I've had to run for the bus a couple of times uphill and it usually takes me about half an hour to recover.
Elliptical/treadmill. I did a lot of this last summer, only to realize I had forgotten to push myself much at all so there wasn't much real benefit as far as getting in shape goes. It still helped my mental health so I can't hate it.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Amity

Post by Amity »

I love weightlifting too! I like being able to track my progress as I move up to heavier weights, and I've gained a new appreciation for my body as my muscles have gotten more toned and I've gotten stronger. Plus, being able to lift and carry heavy things comes in really handy when you're moving.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Love:
Dancing. I loved doing DDR when I was in high school/middle school, and I love doing ballroom dance in college now. Apparently doing a quickstep is like running a fast-paced mile. I can believe it.
Biking. I literally just got back from a bike ride up here in Park City, and I forgot how much I enjoy biking. I'm definitely going to need to invest in a bike rack next summer so I can actually go biking more often.
Walking. My favorite thing to do when I'm stressed is to go for a walk, whether with a roommate/friend or while calling my mom.

Meh:
Running. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either, and it puts my emotions on a more even keel. Plus, I can do it basically whenever, wherever. My "love" activities aren't that way.
Hiking. I like being in the mountains, but I just don't have the endurance for it.
Swimming. I just don't do it for exercise often enough.

Hate:
Basically anything my roommates go and play on Saturday mornings--basketball, touch football. I'm okay with soccer, but other than that...nope.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

NovemberEast wrote:Team sports - also just not efficient. I need a full 30 minutes of pushing it to really feel like I've done something. Plus I always get hit with the ball.
From reading your whole post it sounds like you're pretty darn active. That juxtaposed with getting hit by a ball........really made me laugh. (In sympathy, of course!)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Are there characteristics of running lovers and haters? Zed and I have discussed this. I'm quite active, but running is something I force myself to do, and as I told her, I was once walk-of-shame-ing it and eating pastries and crying over obituaries at the same moment her husband was running some absurd amount of miles. (I don't think any jaguars were chasing him, either.)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Love: swimming, yoga, dancing, pilates

Like: badminton, walking

Hate: anything with balls (with the exception of bowling), anything that involves going up hills or mountains, anything that involves being cold with slippery things attached to your feet, running