angry parents

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NovemberEast

angry parents

Post by NovemberEast »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/85012/

If Duchess reads this...

I would have lost my cool with the mom too. She pretty much committed all the sins of bad confrontation. She opened the "conversation" with an accusation, disrespected you with an insult, and then provoked you with more insults when you finally broke. Yelling at her may not have been effective or "appropriate" but it's pretty understandable. I'd give you a break for that. I don't think you need to apologize (unless you're really concerned about what the mom thinks of you) but you definitely need to forgive yourself. You got this!

The type of "hey buddy" parenting that Dad, Certainly was talking about it is all over my ward. I don't get it.

I teach a primary class and the parents are always asking kids if they "want" to do things. Like: "susie, do you want to put down the crayons and go with mommy to the bathroom?" and I'm sitting there smiling thinking "tell your kid to put down the crayons and go to the damn bathroom so they don't pee all over the floor like they did last time!" My other (not) favorite thing was when a dad told me his son had a hard time being told to sit still and that I should allow him to play on his tablet if he gets antsy. I was like "ok" and totally ignored him.

I don't have kids, so maybe I don't get it. But I HAVE been in the situation of the kids and my parents would have figuratively whipped my butt.

Basically, there are parents who are obsessed with being "nice" to their kids and less interested in doing the actual nice thing by setting reasonable boundaries and expectations. Ignore them, they have no business telling you what to do when they can't even tell their own kids what to do.
Portia

Re: angry parents

Post by Portia »

I had a fun experience with this with one of the kids at the after-school center.

Minecraft is NOT a baby-sitter, GRR >.<
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I teach mostly 18-year-olds, so legally, I don't have to deal with parents. I'm just waiting for some parent to overstep bounds and ask me for a report, so I can be like "I don't gotta tell you nothin'."
Deus ab veritas
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

Marduk wrote:I teach mostly 18-year-olds, so legally, I don't have to deal with parents. I'm just waiting for some parent to overstep bounds and ask me for a report, so I can be like "I don't gotta tell you nothin'."
that would be my dream.