courses on Psychology of Human Sexuality

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

courses on Psychology of Human Sexuality

Post by Portia »

Thanks to Zed for her answer on psychology of gender.

The University of Utah offers several courses on the psychology of sexuality, which you could take over a summer and then transfer the credits to BYU.

https://www.psych.utah.edu/diversity/courses.php
Psych 3245 - Diversity In Human Sexuality

The purpose of the course is to provide a basic understanding of the academic study of human sexuality, and wherever possible the scientific study of human sexuality. Human sexuality is examined from a psychological perspective, although the topic necessarily involves biological, cultural, medical, ethical, and legal issues. The course is intended to provide an in-depth, advanced-level understanding of the psychology of sexuality. This course will cover four main topics: history of sexuality, sexuality research, individual differences in sexuality, and clinical human sexuality.
Taking a summer of classes at the University of Washington before transferring back to BYU was probably the best thing I ever did. (Not saying you have to leave the church/BYU if you don't want to.) Being the "token Mormon" in a class where we watched Angels in America was an eye-opening experience, and I was able to bring a lot more insight into my OWN beliefs (this was a contemporary English lit class, but it could apply to pysch as well) and become a better student, in my opinion.

And as someone who could provide case studies in Abnormal Psych, I want to reiterate: having the gender expression, orientation, or sexual history you have does NOT make one abnormal. I'm fairly vanilla on all counts, and when I did see a psychologist (who studied at BYU! so!) the only thing that seemed especially related to any psychological problem was a series of impulsive decisions. Merely HAVING sexuality wasn't enough to land me there, and the fact that even a decade after I started when we were in the Iron Age as a state (remember the Brokeback Mountain brouhaha?) that this hasn't improved makes me concerned.

From your sign-off, it sounds like you're in the closet. I'm 100% straight which always granted me a (totally unfair! hooray!) benefit of the doubt to examine human sexuality, it felt like, and draw my own conclusions on the position of sexual minorities on BYU's campus. So, anyway, I'm definitely willing to grab a cup of hot cocoa and chat, or whatever. Send me a PM if you read this board.