BQ 85493 Mom wants more communication

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Shrinky Dink

BQ 85493 Mom wants more communication

Post by Shrinky Dink »

BQ 85493

I can completely relate to this daughter. My first semester of school, I told my family that I would call them once a week. It lasted about a month or two before I got really tired of the chore. I don't often initiate text messages or emails unless something interesting is happening. I don't have any outgoing calls to my mom since New Years. In fact, in the last month, the only outgoing calls have been to my husband. For example, my recent text messages to my mom include info about a job fair and forwarding a W2. Other than that, there hasn't been much communication since New Years. I also don't post a ton of stuff on Facebook either (maybe 1-2 status updates per month), but I do check Facebook regularly and will usually reply to direct messages.

I just don't initiate contact for stuff and generally don't feel like my life is that interesting. It's boring, tedious, and humiliating for me to admit that the most interesting thing I've done recently is walked to Walmart and then have to turn that into a conversation about what's going on in my life.

I have, however, recently had long conversations with my sister, usually involving a question about something from when we were kids. Then the conversation morphs into Netflix and Hulu suggestions and reminiscing about things we did as kids.

I don't think the mom in question shouldn't be offended. It's likely that her daughter doesn't hate her or even feel like she has a bad relationship with her. The daughter just may not feel like there is anything worth making a fuss over and therefore, nothing worth talking about. If the daughter is anything like me, the mom could easily communicate her love for her daughter by sending the occasional funny picture or joke. The daughter may not reply, but it could open a door to send funny things to one another as a way to say, "I'm thinking about you" which may be enough for this mom to feel loved and allow the daughter to know that her mom is there for her and can even talk about the silly things that don't really matter.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Shrinky Dink

Re: BQ 85493 Mom wants more communication

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Some things that have happened recently that I don't think are worth talking about may include, having given a talk in church, being invited to another family's home to play games and winning at Clue, going to get 1/2 off ice cream, taking my husband to insta-care, making dinner for a family in the ward, and starting to grow some basil. While I'm sure my mom would like to hear about any/all of these things, I just don't feel like any one thing is that interesting.... Maybe I should send her an email.

The email is sent :)
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

My husband has in-depth conversations with his mom at least once a week; I'm more like you and forget to say anything.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I still call my parents once a week and I'm happy with that