Naked Roommate

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NovemberEast

Naked Roommate

Post by NovemberEast »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/86104/

If I was 19 again (that's important) and didn't get along with the roommate, I would just let out my inner sociopath by inviting people over without notice. You know, to see what would happen.

:twisted: ..... :shock:

I was in a sorority (....yes that kind) and I lived in a sorority house. We did NOT walk around naked. There was one girl who walked naked from the showers to her room and no one liked her. The naked-walking was not the reason no one liked her. She was just really awful to everyone and I think the naked-walking was just a manifestation of how little she cared for everyone. IDK why she didn't quit.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Naked Roommate

Post by Marduk »

So...did I miss something? The writers seemed to have a lot of inside info. Was there a prior question or something?
Deus ab veritas
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

There was a recent question where a girl was uncomfortable with her roommate wearing low cut tank tops around the house when her boyfriend was there. I'm guessing the naked question was directed at Luciana because of her response to the tank top question.

I'm not sure if it was the same question asker because the nyms were not the same. Maybe an editor would know.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

It was a follow-up to this question: http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/86042/
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I think an actually naked roommate outside their bathroom/bedroom areas is breaking some social norms. My social norms at least.
Portia

Post by Portia »

To me it seemed like an over-the-top follow-up question. A plunging neckline may indeed be out of place in certain situations (I have to admit that going completely braless where someone whom you're not sexually involved with could see still strikes me as socially odd, but I have relatively large breasts), but it's not being naked.

For men, compare it to a guy who's perpetually shirtless to actual nakedness. yeah, no.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

That's....pretty messed up, in a lot of different ways. I love how the question-asker totally implied that her boyfriend was uncomfortable too. I'm sure she didn't even ask him whether or not he cared.

I really hate when women police other women's bodies "for the sake of the men." Like, if you want to be judgmental about something another woman is wearing, that's your business, not mine. Don't involve me in it.
Deus ab veritas
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Whistler wrote:I think an actually naked roommate outside their bathroom/bedroom areas is breaking some social norms. My social norms at least.
For women, I'll take your word for it.

For men, it varies. Especially with age. Many older men have zero issue being all sorts of naked in front of other people. Reminded me of this: http://theoatmeal.com/pl/minor_differences2/locker_room
Deus ab veritas
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

And in case anyone is wondering, (or any men might potentially be in a situation like this with me) I totally count as an old man. Sorry for the TMI.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Marduk wrote:I really hate when women police other women's bodies "for the sake of the men."
I do find this to be a squicky reason for school dress codes.

I wonder how such folks would have survived the late 18th century? Cleavage seems to be such a cultural notion rather than anything inherently taboo. (Genitals I think there's a different argument, and I'd be weirded out if I had to encounter them without warning.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

A few weeks ago we had people over for Sunday dinner and, toward the end of the meal, I changed into a tank top, pushed both my bra straps and the tank top straps off my shoulders, and sat around in this precarious position for the rest of the night. Everyone there was either related to me or into women.

However, a) it's my house, b) I had a HORRIBLE sunburn that was being irritated by the bra straps and that I needed uncovered to apply aloe to, and c) it's my house.

However, d), I'm no longer Mormon and neither was anyone there so YMMV.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

I just... really wonder how some people will be capable of functioning outside of BYU. Even in Utah.
Violet

Post by Violet »

yayfulness wrote:I just... really wonder how some people will be capable of functioning outside of BYU. Even in Utah.
Unfortunately some are not very capable. I grew up in Utah county and there were definitely people in my ward... Even my very Mormon parents understood that different things are important to different people and even with shared religion not all values are the same and that's OK.
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

Marduk wrote:That's....pretty messed up, in a lot of different ways. I love how the question-asker totally implied that her boyfriend was uncomfortable too. I'm sure she didn't even ask him whether or not he cared.

I really hate when women police other women's bodies "for the sake of the men." Like, if you want to be judgmental about something another woman is wearing, that's your business, not mine. Don't involve me in it.
It reminds me of these girls I lived with in college. They were always majorly insecure with their relationships and jealous of other women. It didn't matter the woman's lack of intention or interest in their man. If they looked like a threat, they were a threat. When I read the question for the first time it made me wonder if the question-asker is just projecting her feelings of discomfort on the boyfriend in hopes that he was uncomfortable rather than interested in the "display."

That sort of judgement just strikes me as insecurity and makes me feel sad :(
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Violet wrote:
yayfulness wrote:I just... really wonder how some people will be capable of functioning outside of BYU. Even in Utah.
Unfortunately some are not very capable. I grew up in Utah county and there were definitely people in my ward... Even my very Mormon parents understood that different things are important to different people and even with shared religion not all values are the same and that's OK.
I want to know how this guy is doing.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Oh my goodness.

This is why I find it so difficult to read the board these days (and Kudos to Katya for walking that line and doing a little bit of much-needed chewing out while still being board appropriate.) My only response to that fellow would be "mind your own business, women actually don't exist solely for your pleasure. No state of someone else's clothing is your business, unless they are having some sort of obvious wardrobe malfunction unintentionally."
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Marduk wrote:these days
These days? Pretty sure Bush was still president when this posted. :-)
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Well I feel silly. I guess I should look at the date before commenting (I assumed Katya's presence had something to do with a board reunion or some such.)
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:Well I feel silly. I guess I should look at the date before commenting (I assumed Katya's presence had something to do with a board reunion or some such.)
My presence is eternal!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Marduk wrote:Well I feel silly. I guess I should look at the date before commenting (I assumed Katya's presence had something to do with a board reunion or some such.)
My presence is eternal!
There iiiiis no end to Kaaaatya ...