Maybe don't call us uneducated #86433

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NovemberEast

Maybe don't call us uneducated #86433

Post by NovemberEast »

Regarding Cognoscente's assertion that the GOP relies on low-education voters:

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/s ... liberalism

I considered making things easy and just quoting the part I'm talking about, but I'm not interested in doing things for other people that they can figure out for themselves...because I'm one of those terrible Republicans. At least I stick to my principles? Also, it's a good read and I'm awarding bonus points to myself for it coming from a fairly liberal site.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Maybe don't call us uneducated #86433

Post by Marduk »

I'm familiar with the article, and the demographics of the situation, but I think you're overstating Cognoscente's claim. Before we get into that, can you tell me what, exactly, your intent was with that particular article (which I read as an argument about rhetorical strategy, whereas the point Cognoscente was making was about regional demographics)? Are you suggesting that pointing out particular demographics is a bad move rhetorically (and you're assuming that Cognoscente was trying to persuade someone to more liberal beliefs?)
Deus ab veritas
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

I wasn't calling Republicans nitwits. I didn't mean "low-education" pejoratively. It's a demographic classification, the same as those for race, religion, and age. The phrase "The GOP has been able to rely on southern, white, Christian, low-education voters" is simply stating a demographic reality.

According to the Pew Research Center, "Democrats hold advantages in party identification among blacks, Asians, Hispanics, well-educated adults and Millennials. Republicans have leads among whites – particularly white men, those with less education and evangelical Protestants – as well as members of the Silent Generation."

According to 538, "In both 2008 and 2012, Republicans’ best group by far — of the five we examined — was white voters without college degrees. The GOP carried that group by 14 percentage points in 2008 and a whopping 26 points in 2012."

And finally, according to Trump, "I love the poorly educated!"
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Portia

Post by Portia »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/15/opini ... p=cur&_r=0

Leaving this here as a likely future Ph.D.

I think the demographic changes favor Democrats, though.