pop music recommendations

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

pop music recommendations

Post by Portia »

So my musical tastes might be about halfway between the anthemic pop and the soulful indie, and I've been discovering a lot more music since getting an Apple Music subscription. These could be good, uptempo poppy choices that you may be less familiar with. (Links to Spotify since that has a free version.)

(I mean you can't really dance to Carrie and Lowell, no matter how good.)

Chasing Waves - Vista Kicks

If the Strokes got in a time machine and joined Don Draper to escape to California in the mid-60s, they might have made this album. Favorite track: Marceline.

Electra Heart - Marina and the Diamonds

"The Diamonds" is a pun on her last name, Diamandis. There are a lot of layers to Marina's persona, which seems to veer between soul-baring authenticity and hyper-produced dance pop. She always lampshades tropes and turns them inside out by the end of the track. Favorite track: How to be a Heartbreaker.

Love Stuff - Elle King

Not really an indie critical darling (an ex of mine calls the sound "slightly redneck guilty pleasure"), but some of these tracks are totally karaoke night-ready. Favorite track (obvs): Ex's & Oh's.

All My Demons Greeting Me as a Friend - AURORA

Ethereal, moody Norwegian pop. Listen to this as you read Knausgaard wandering the fjords. Favorite track: Lucky.

I Love You, Honeybear - Father john Misty

I'm kind of obsessed with everything about this album. Think of it as an anti-depression album from someone who let his carefully constructed personas go up in flames but still sounding like himself. (And he covered Ryan Adams covering Taylor Swift in the style of Lou Reed. And it's the best thing ever. Then took it down. ) Favorite track: Holy S**t