Engagement Rings

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Engagement Rings

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/86775/

What are y'all's thoughts? (Is that the correct grammatical structure for that?)

Maybe this was just from growing up poor and hearing/reading stories about people losing them, but I never liked the idea of a fancy engagement/wedding ring. It seemed a waste of money. I decided at some point that I'd probably just get something cheap, or perhaps even rotate rings.

However, being flirted with is such a non-issue for me that I'll probably just never bother.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Re: Engagement Rings

Post by Craig Jessop »

I like the idea of engagement rings because I like tradition. I also like the idea of people carrying something tangible at all times to remind them of their partner's commitment. Call me a romantic, but I think that's a beautiful thing.

As for what kind of ring, I say people should go with 1) what they can afford, and 2) what makes them happy. There's no sense in going into debt or draining savings for a ring, and there's no sense in wearing a diamond if what you really want is a different kind of stone or simple band.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I think it's fun a socially useful to wear a ring, and also I think that it shouldn't have to be expensive. I understand if certain people don't want to wear a ring though (in some professions it's a hazard).
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Right now I have a $2 stretchy ring because my fingers are pregnant. I definitely agree that a ring shouldn't be expensive unless the couple wants that.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I wish I had just skipped ahead to getting a wedding band. As it is I don't wear my ring because it turns out I'm just not a jewelry person (too fidgety). I've considered getting a spinny ring as my wedding band though.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I saw an advertisement for "Helenite" (a type of volcanic obsidian) in National Geographic. Something along those lines would be fun. I still like huge colorful sparkly rings but diamonds seem boring and cliche.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I like the idea of it, but not expensive ones. If someone wants to buy me a present that costs several thousand dollars, I can think of many way more fun things than a ring.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Genuine Article wrote:I wish I had just skipped ahead to getting a wedding band. As it is I don't wear my ring because it turns out I'm just not a jewelry person (too fidgety). I've considered getting a spinny ring as my wedding band though.
What is a spinny ring? It sounds fun.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Whistler wrote:
Genuine Article wrote:I wish I had just skipped ahead to getting a wedding band. As it is I don't wear my ring because it turns out I'm just not a jewelry person (too fidgety). I've considered getting a spinny ring as my wedding band though.
What is a spinny ring? It sounds fun.
It has a base that's closest to your finger, but then also has an outside sheathing, for lack of a better word, that spins. Great for fidgeting.