BQ 86964 - height variation in immediate family

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

BQ 86964 - height variation in immediate family

Post by Portia »

My siblings and I are somewhat shorter than what one might expect.

Late Mother: 5'6"
Bio Father: 6'0"
Me: 5'4" (with rounding!)

Adoptive father: 6'4" freak
Brother: 5'10.5" ish
Sister: 5'3" (but she's 15 so might catch me). This is the girl who thought she'd be volleyball player height.

My maternal side is quite short, though: my grandma was about my height, her husband not much taller, and her mother was 5'2". Almost all my mom's cousins are short.

Also #mildlyinteresting - literally everyone listed above has blue eyes, except my mom had green eyes. Also, everyone in my role at work has blue eyes. You pretty much only see that in the movie Frozen or in Utah.

My boyfriend thought he was going to be taller (he's 5'11") because his mother is like 5'8" at least (she was a dancer) and his father is a bit over 6'.

He also has blue eyes (... every guy I've seriously dated did, almost. Haha. Hazel at the darkest.) His parents have such narrow eyes that I can't properly tell the color but I'd guess hazel for his dad and dark blue for his mom. I have large eyes but thankfully not the bugging out eyes of my mom's dad.

It's not a genetic experiment I'm keen to run but it'd be interesting to see how tall our kids would be. Blue eyes would be an all but guarantee, but I feel like height could be anything from 5'2 to 5'7" for a girl and 5'6" to 6'2" for a guy. (Depending if he got legs closer in proportion to mine or his, LOL.) It's odd to ponder.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Re: BQ 86964 - height variation in immediate family

Post by Genuine Article »

My siblings range from 5'2" to 6'3", and at 5'6" I'm in a three-way tie for second shortest. My shortest sister's height so mystified an aunt on my dad's side (why are you so short, what's wrong with you?) that she took her out and had her bones measured as a child. Which I have to say is just not cool. You can't just take other people's children to the doctor without asking, but tell that to my aunt. Anyway, the doctor said there was nothing wrong with her and that she'd likely grow up to be 5'2", and probably she just took after someone on her mother's side of the family.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

My uncle was so short that my grandparents took him to the doctor when he was 17 or 18. They said everything was fine. He had a growth spurt in his early 20s and now he's like 6 feet tall.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Tangentially related, but this reminds me of quantitative research done that demonstrates that there is a greater correlation between child and parental income in this country than there is between child and parental height.
Deus ab veritas
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Mom - 5'9"
Dad - 6'2"
Sister 1 - 5'8"
Sister 2 - 5'10"
Me (female) - 6'0"
Brother 1 - 6'5"
Brother 2 - 6'4"

Maternal Grandmother - 5'7"?
Maternal Grandfather - I want to say 6'7" but he passed when I was 4, so I don't remember well and everyone seems really tall when you're 4
Paternal Grandmother - 5'9" ish
Paternal Grandfather - 6'3" ish

Overall, I have a tall immediate and extended family. Only one set of cousins (out of 65+ cousins) is a below average height, but even then, it's not by much.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I'm 6'2" or 3", and I measure everybody by "taller than me" or "shorter than me."

Dad: Shorter than me
Mom: Shorter than me
Me: tall
Giovanni: taller than me
Brother 2: shorter than me, but roughly equal
sister: shorter than me

I think the shortest one is Sister, and she's 5'8" or something. My dad is 5'11" and the giant of his family, and my mom is 5'10" and the runt. Her brothers are 6'4" and 6'7", and her mother's brothers are all at least 6'8"
Violet

Post by Violet »

My family correlates pretty well.

Mom: 5'5-6"
Dad: 6'1"ish
Me: 5'8"
Brother 1: 6'
Brother 2: 6' (probably, may have grown while on his mission, so I don't know for sure)
Brother 3: 5'7.5" (he wants to catch me and probably will as he's 13)
Sister 1:5'4"
Sister 2: 5'6"
Digit

Post by Digit »

Here's a Nature article on the proportion of heritability of height being to a large proportion down to some common single nucleotide polymorphisms.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.