mission timing/revelation, again--87072

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

larry_wayne

mission timing/revelation, again--87072

Post by larry_wayne »

Hasn't happened, but greatest fear wrote:What happens if you get clear revelation to go on a mission and you don't do it?
I wonder if there's not more complexity to this scenario than the answers given indicate.
In particular, I thought of Tally M. when I read this question.
Tally M, [url=http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/86275/]86275[/url] wrote:I believe that in order for me to have the most spiritual growth, I needed to first prepare to serve a mission and then not go on one.
I think there are plenty of legitimate reasons to decide against serving a mission, despite at some point having received revelation indicating you should serve.
It depends on personal circumstances. And I'm not sure that if you're in that situation, you necessarily need to repent and feel regret for your "decision to go against personal revelation." The way I read the question, it could very well be applied to a situation where health concerns, preparedness issues, or various other considerations would be severe enough to limit a missionary's ability to serve. The question didn't imply that anyone was deliberately choosing to ignore the revelation they were given.
One last thought: Elder Holland and his son have discussed the fact that sometimes revelation tells us to go one way, the completely wrong way, for just a little while. That way we know 100% after we've turned around that we're going the right way.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Re: mission timing/revelation, again--87072

Post by Craig Jessop »

I agree with all of this.

I once received a very clear revelation to apply for a job I really wanted, and I felt strongly I would get it. I didn't get the job, and I was mad.

In hindsight, had I not applied for that job and honed my resume and brushed up on interviewing and all of those things, I would not have been in the position to get a different job at the spur of the moment a month later -- even a day or two would have cost me a great opportunity. I am grateful that I was obedient to a prompting that ultimately didn't lead to what I expected.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

This reminded me of this talk, which isn't quite the same situation, but similar.

https://www.lds.org/new-era/2005/07/wro ... n?lang=eng
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

And I just noticed that was the exact same link you posted in the first post!! :D