Missionary health

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

Missionary health

Post by Portia »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/87206/

I wouldn't call that "fairly easy to work with" but "holding a twenty-year-old hostage and ruining both his life and his parents' finances."

Makes me incredibly angry. This is a very serious problem that is by no means a one-off. I hope the family can find appropriate compensation. I don't know if a lawsuit would ever succeed in cases like this, but it certainly seems like negligence.
Zedability

Re: Missionary health

Post by Zedability »

Yeah...inspiration had its limits, and I've heard of way too many health things being handled poorly to think that it's a good idea to put a guy with no healthcare training in a position to essentially give or withhold access to medical treatment.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

I wonder if there are Workers' Comp laws that apply. Because yeah, that story seriously made me mad.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Zedability wrote:Yeah...inspiration had its limits, and I've heard of way too many health things being handled poorly to think that it's a good idea to put a guy with no healthcare training in a position to essentially give or withhold access to medical treatment.

Fortunately, my mission president was a cardio-thoracic surgeon or something, so his medical advice was always pretty good.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
Zedability wrote:Yeah...inspiration had its limits, and I've heard of way too many health things being handled poorly to think that it's a good idea to put a guy with no healthcare training in a position to essentially give or withhold access to medical treatment.

Fortunately, my mission president was a cardio-thoracic surgeon or something, so his medical advice was always pretty good.
And my mission president was G's mission president's boss as CEO of IHC. This hierarchy carries into my brother's and my IRL relationship as well.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I also happened to have had a bishop who was in the healthcare industry, but I'm not so sure that's germane to the issue of what this young man had to go through.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

On a lighter note, we had two return senior missionaries talk today. They had served stateside in a variety of capacities including as health care admins for the elders for a period of time. The husband decided to share some of the more creative things that some elders had done. Luckily none of these resulted in a darwin award.

Elder: How do you treat a burn?
Health Care Admin: Where is this burn and how bad?
E: It's pretty bad and on my chest
HCA: How'd you burn your chest?
E: I tried ironing my shirt while I was wearing it.

Some other elders had their water heater stop working, so to heat up water, they decided to drop a hot iron in a 5 gallon bucket of water.

An elder ate a fuzzy wuzzy caterpillar on a dare and called to say that his tongue still felt fuzzy and still tasted weird.

There were some others, but I can't remember them all. Overall, his talk was very enjoyable for an otherwise gloomy sunday.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*