#87448 - Seven deadly sins

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

#87448 - Seven deadly sins

Post by Katya »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/87448/

I think that equating gluttony with obesity is misguided (if not straight up fat shaming). Modern obesity has less to do with pridefully eating too much food and more to do with modern lifestyle constraints and processed foods (which are often much cheaper than their healthier counterparts). Not to mention that we're learning more and more about the effects of obesity on metabolism and the latest research suggests that it's much harder for obese people to lose weight or burn calories than it is for thinner people.
Shrinky Dink

Re: #87448 - Seven deadly sins

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Personally, my weight is far more influence by slothfulness than gluttony. I'm just too lazy to exercise and make healthy meals. Having a physically demanding full time job is what has helped me lose about 15 lbs since March, but I'm still as lazy as ever.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Can't agree with Katya more on this one (though that is not abnormal).
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Seriously lost every shred of respect I had for April Ludgate with that answer. Holy crap. Not even remotely ok to say things like that. Not even going to try to be polite about how problematic that attitude is.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I'm slightly surprised (though I guess I shouldn't be, with how endemic things like wealth worship and prosperity doctrine are among Mormons) that no one said greed. That'd be my answer.
Deus ab veritas
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I think the fact that they're endemic makes it hard for people to recognize it as a problem, rather than just The Way Things Are.
Portia

Post by Portia »

The Wikipedia article is really thought-provoking and shows how society's definitions of these vices has evolved over time. I think there is an element of good-faith disagreement over definitions above, and I think that working together towards a better society is worth it.

I vote for hubris in the ancient sense as the most harmful to a functioning, healthy society. It need not have anything to do with God, per se, but it does seem to be a vice twisted into a virtue in contemporary life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

When I clicked on the link to the question I half expected to see April Ludgate bashing fat people. I did not see that. And then I was reminded of why I haven't been on the board in a while.