TMI questions

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

TMI questions

Post by Craig Jessop »

There were two recently, and I thought the difference was... interesting. The first (http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/87707/) about a couple's sex life was very TMI. I mean, it wasn't inappropriate, but I'm certainly surprised that somebody would feel comfortable airing all of that to the Internet, especially if they're as traditionally Mormon as the questioner claimed. I'm glad the person felt comfortable asking for help, but if a stranger approached me on the bus or something, my first and overwhelming reaction would be "WHOA THERE PARTNER."

The second (http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/87714/) the questioner said it was TMI, and I guess I could see why she'd say it was, but it didn't seem too TMI-y at all. It just seemed like a normal, curious question. I mean, I know society tells us that menstruation is supposed to be a taboo topic, but I think it's ridiculous that it is. Menstruation is a normal bodily function, so why can't we just treat it accordingly? Sure, getting into the details is inappropriate in lots of contexts, but nobody freaks when you say "excuse me, I need to use the restroom."
Portia

Re: TMI questions

Post by Portia »

Craig Jessop wrote:There were two recently, and I thought the difference was... interesting. The first (http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/87707/) about a couple's sex life was very TMI. I mean, it wasn't inappropriate, but I'm certainly surprised that somebody would feel comfortable airing all of that to the Internet, especially if they're as traditionally Mormon as the questioner claimed. I'm glad the person felt comfortable asking for help, but if a stranger approached me on the bus or something, my first and overwhelming reaction would be "WHOA THERE PARTNER."

The second (http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/87714/) the questioner said it was TMI, and I guess I could see why she'd say it was, but it didn't seem too TMI-y at all. It just seemed like a normal, curious question. I mean, I know society tells us that menstruation is supposed to be a taboo topic, but I think it's ridiculous that it is. Menstruation is a normal bodily function, so why can't we just treat it accordingly? Sure, getting into the details is inappropriate in lots of contexts, but nobody freaks when you say "excuse me, I need to use the restroom."
The common thread seems to be a profound and neurotic discomfort with one's own body. Amenorrhea is a serious medical condition, and I was glad the overwhelming response was "you could have endometriosis or cancer get that stuff checked out yesterday."

My offline discussion of the Very Personal Sex Question came down to the idea of manual stimulation. If orgasm is a goal, then yeah, I think any couple should ... consider female anatomy, beyond the vaginal canal.

(Isn't that crazy amounts of pressure for dudes? No wonder he's stressed.)

But I got burned as a single virgin Mormon on that viewpoint, can't imagine the firestorm as a sexually active person. *ducks*
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

Portia wrote: The common thread seems to be a profound and neurotic discomfort with one's own body.
Between that and the comment about anatomy, you pretty much nailed it.

Even if she saw a therapist to help her process being sexually abused (which she should really do!!!), it still doesn't fix how they want a solution that might not exist.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Portia wrote:
My offline discussion of the Very Personal Sex Question came down to the idea of manual stimulation. If orgasm is a goal, then yeah, I think any couple should ... consider female anatomy, beyond the vaginal canal.

(Isn't that crazy amounts of pressure for dudes? No wonder he's stressed.)

But I got burned as a single virgin Mormon on that viewpoint, can't imagine the firestorm as a sexually active person. *ducks*
Just FYI, I think they are probably already considering "female anatomy beyond the vaginal canal". I got the book "And They Were Not Ashamed" before I got married, and it DEFINITELY discusses manual stimulation and suggests other things as well to help women climax. In fact, manual stimulation is highly recommended by the author.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead