BQ#87973 - Nicest thing a stranger has done for you

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Genuine Article
Board Writer

BQ#87973 - Nicest thing a stranger has done for you

Post by Genuine Article »

I really want to hear more answers to this one, so what's the nicest thing a stranger's done for you? Or even that an anonymous person has done for you, because I can't think of any about strangers. Mine is that someone once anonymously gave our family a piano, and I still wonder who it was, because a piano is a big thing to give to someone.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Re: BQ#87973 - Nicest thing a stranger has done for you

Post by TheBlackSheep »

The same person ahead of me in the drive thru bought my coffee twice this week. I'm sure she didn't realize it was me twice, but I recognized the sticker on the back of her car. It really couldn't have happened on better days.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I asked this Board question freshman year and everyone put so much effort into it. I think it made me feel better than the actual content of the responses. It also made me want to be a Board writer so I could write nice answers for other people.
Portia

Post by Portia »

A TSA agent let me skip the line because I was late for my flight in Seattle International on my birthday.

... It was his 10th wedding anniversary. Still feel extremely bad that he was working, but I definitely will remember his good turn to me.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I was struggling to walk home with a whole bunch of groceries home from the bus stop once during my BYU years, and a couple of teenage guys who were hanging out in their yard came up and offered to help me. They walked like 10 blocks with me carrying my groceries and were totally just polite and nice to me.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

When I was in law school, I was doing interview trips across the country basically every weekend, and I was completely exhausted. One Thursday I flew to California after classes, arriving at my hotel at about 9:30 at night. I was super tired, but also really hungry, so I went down the restaurant in the hotel to eat dinner. After placing my order, I was sitting there with my head resting on my hands, feeling -- and I'm sure looking -- like I was about at the end of my rope. And then my waiter brought me this fantastic appetizer (some kind of caviar dip) "compliments of the chef." He pointed over to the open window to the kitchen, where the chef was standing. The chef gave me a very encouraging, cheerful smile, and then went back to work. It wasn't the biggest favor ever, but it was really sweet, and made me feel much happier about life.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

And another story: This year, I went to Dubai to visit my cousin, but my phone died just arrived I made it through immigration, and I couldn't find her anywhere around the airport. (The Dubai airport doesn't have any kind of designated visitor pick-up spots, and is just really confusing in general.) I also didn't have her phone number or any way to reach her other than facebook messaging. But some Korean lady was nice enough to let me borrow her phone for a few minutes so I could log onto facebook and get in contact with my cousin. I'm not sure what I would have done if this lady hadn't been willing to hand a smartphone over to a complete stranger.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

In the last year and half, people have twice offered to give me a ride when they've seen me walking home from the grocery store. (However, I walk to the grocery store because I live across the street, so I have politely declined both times.)