the "honor" of tattle telling

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

the "honor" of tattle telling

Post by Portia »

If you are aware of someone breaking the honor code and you don't do anything about it, you can get in trouble too.
Ugh. Is this actually real, or just some sort of psychological experiment run on the student body? I don't think this is actually a good way to form good moral character.
Shrinky Dink

Re: the "honor" of tattle telling

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I don't know how true this would be since there's not many situations where you could prove that someone else knew of the honor code violations. But then again, from what I understand of how the honor code office prosecutes violators, they don't seem to be very big on the whole evidence thing.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
yayfulness
Board Writer

Re: the "honor" of tattle telling

Post by yayfulness »

As I understand it, it's true on paper. Whether or not it's true in practice, I have no idea.

I'm guessing it's a rule that mostly exists for leverage - "we know your roommate broke a rule; cooperate with us and you won't get in trouble but don't cooperate and we can ding you for it too" - and that the HCO isn't in the business of going out looking for people who fail to report. But again, I can only speculate, having no direct experience and knowing no stories.