We need to pressure young LDS women more about marriage.

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

TheBlackSheep
The Best

We need to pressure young LDS women more about marriage.

Post by TheBlackSheep »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/89212/

I mean... is this guy kidding? I just... wow. Maybe it's just because of the RAGE I'm feeling about everything right now, but that's incredible and I hope every woman he tries to date tells him so and then says no until he gets some perspective and empathy.

The writers get props for being more measured than I am currently capable of being. Strong work, y'all.
Amity

Re: We need to pressure young LDS women more about marriage.

Post by Amity »

He cited a Divine Comedy parody video as evidence for his thesis statement. Good critical thinking there, buddy.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

I didn't even follow the link on first read through. That video is proof? THAT video? I'm pretty sure that is parodying the EXTREME pressure Mormon women feel to get married. But hey, why would normal girls feel like they can get AMAZING guys? Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.
Portia

Post by Portia »

On the other hand, this question makes me gleefully happy, haha. ^_^ I had never heard of the "666." Vanity, entitlement, and summer sales? IT MUST BE BYU.

Well, you can't change your height, but you can hit the gym, subscribe to GQ, and go work for a solar company or investment bank. Also the bar for a "bad boy" in Utah County is so ridiculously low, pretty sure you can grow some scruff and watch, like, Rick and Morty and be exotic. The only thing standing between you and the women you size up by a collection of bodily features is YOU!

Who doesn't want a social and suave Pierce Brosnan lookalike? This isn't a MoMo thing, dude, heh.

There's probably some good behavioral economics work on how incentives are being artificially manipulated by the absurd . I unironically suggest he check out Modern Romance, Dateonomics (a whole chapter on the dating nightmare that is dating while Mormon!) and Marriage Markets. Maybe some turn of the century novelists like Wharton. Could learn something.

(Pro tip: I've hooked up with guys who are hotter than me, 6 feet or close to it, and rich. They weren't whiners for one and none of them seemed to rank women. I think the toxic manosphere arises from some pretty shitty propaganda about the nature of the sexes. Ugh)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Watching that clip was good though because holy cow I NEED TO GET OUT OF UTAH AND MY JOB IN UTAH COUNTY.

(I'd marry a tree as long as it was blonde and worked in tech?)
mic0

Post by mic0 »

hahaha, I remember when that video came out. Good stuff. :) I just recently re-listened to "The Mormon Rap" which is also hilarious.

As for the question itself, I would have responded in kind with silliness. Because it's a silly question. And that guy just hasn't been in any women's meetings or talked to a woman if he doesn't know the pressure is on everyone.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Oh. Em. Gee. What's with the TRP/blatantly misogynist questions lately??
Portia

Post by Portia »

Emiliana wrote:Oh. Em. Gee. What's with the TRP/blatantly misogynist questions lately??
I for one blame our disgusting government. They came out of the woodwork November 8th ... and I'm not even in Provo! This was in bars!
Portia

Post by Portia »

I know there are Trump-supporting (and/or Hillary-hating) women, but it seems to be a uniquely male phenomenon to want to blow stuff up just watch it burn and to think that taxes = rape.

Seems to be a similar mindset. I think that perhaps 5 years ago, these types would have been socially censured more. Definitely have noticed it at the high school level.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Portia wrote:I know there are Trump-supporting (and/or Hillary-hating) women

You mean, more than half of white women? http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/ ... vote-trump
Deus ab veritas
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

We got this question at the same time as four others (89208-89212; two of them still haven't been published) which I assume are all from the same person, and from reading all five of them it seems like either he's a sincere Mormon Red Pill MRA white nationalist, or he turned the satire up to 11 and the humor down to 0.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

TheBlackSheep wrote:The writers get props for being more measured than I am currently capable of being. Strong work, y'all.
I called him a jerk in one of my answers to his other questions (not yet posted) so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Portia

Post by Portia »

Ughhhhhhhhhhh just got off a Tinder date with a self proclaimed western male chauvinist. As if that weren't bad enough one of the authors I list in my LinkedIn profile as my favorite seemed to not even ring a bell... Despite it being one of the most important researchers in his field.

Thinking a good way to hit it off with ME of all people by opening with salvos on a traditional division of labor (but wimmen WANT to be SAHMMs! Ummmmmm like I haven't read about the second shift? Spare me the lecture) and our FREAKING president makes me think I've taken a pill myself and inceptioned into a dark netherverse.

@Marduk maybe he can swipe right on them lol
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

This red pill guy is really irritating me. I hope one of the writers uses this to answer one of his future questions.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Shrinky Dink wrote:This red pill guy is really irritating me. I hope one of the writers uses this to answer one of his future questions.
:thumbsup:
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

...One of my male friends, who I've been kinda interested in, sounds a little like this guy.

I need to rethink my life.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:...One of my male friends, who I've been kinda interested in, sounds a little like this guy.

Yep, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Portia

Post by Portia »

This question made me :-\. Being that disillusioned at ~23 and defining oneself by one's prettiness, combined with the Nice Guy Syndrome questions, make me feel gross. Why not just live life and let it happen? Oh wait, maybe because women HAVE NO AGENCY IN THIS SYSTEM
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:...One of my male friends, who I've been kinda interested in, sounds a little like this guy.

Yeah, no. You deserve better.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Does it really never occur to this guy that the reason he gets "friendzoned" isn't because he's only a "7" but because he's a raging misogynist asshole?