The Beatles versus U2

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Greatest Band Ever

The Beatles
52%
U2
8%
Hobbes and the Death Squad
40%

Total votes: 25

Humble Master

The Beatles versus U2

Post by Humble Master »

jooniper

Post by jooniper »

I'm actually not a huge fan of listening to either, but I can't deny the massive influence the Beatles have had on modern music.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I'm not going to dispute the fact that The Beatles are the greatest band ever, but there's no denying I'm a huge U2 fan as well. I mean, my cat's name is Bono, for crying out loud. (Next cat I get is totally going to be named The Edge.) And the 2005 Vertigo tour was hands down one of the best concerts I've ever attended.
Foreman, Claudio, and Cognoscente? Normally I agree with your music views 100%, but this could cause problems.
So many different types of sparrows!
Claudio

Post by Claudio »

Buttercup, I never said U2 sucked (nor did I say that their guitarist does not have one of the best names in rock and roll!)! The problem is when people elevate them too high. They're a good band, they just happen to be one of the most overblown bands of all time. Comparing them to the Beatles...just...doesn't make sense!

It's like when people start getting TOO into the church and start worshiping Joseph Smith.

Yeah, just like that.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

I can't vote in this poll... I don't see an option for Bad Religion.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

The correct answer is Queen. No, they weren't as influential or versatile as the Beatles, but every member of Queen musically outperformed their Beatles counterpart, and in my opinion, Freddie Mercury was a better songwriter than the McCartney/Lennon duo. And Queen's live performances KILLED. I only wish I could have seen some in real life, instead of just over the innernets.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

It's always tough to compare musical groups. No two bands are the same. And it gets a lot harder when you are working with different eras. I actually like U2 very much; I was still a fan even in the dark days when they released Pop. However, I think most people recognize that U2 wouldn't exist without The Beatles, so it's hard to measure. I voted Beatles, just because they managed to fit the public consciousness so perfectly. And they never really made a bad album, although some are definitely better than others. In 50 years maybe U2 will have a good argument for being better, but until then, Beatles all the way.
- Benvolio
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

None of the above? If I'd ever heard Hobbes et al, I might consider that choice.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Ah! Why did you have to put Hobbes? Of course I would have to pick that, then.

Real answer: I like both, but given the recent Board Beatles Mania (TM), I think I'll have to vote U2.
Claudio

Post by Claudio »

Portia wrote:Real answer: I like both, but given the recent Board Beatles Mania (TM), I think I'll have to vote U2.
So...your major reasoning is simply that you want to be in the minority?

...lucky thing for you and your faith that Mormons are still a minority, eh?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Well, I kind of do that on the weekly polls. If there are two I like equally, I vote for the one I think fewer people have voted for.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Claudio wrote:
Portia wrote:Real answer: I like both, but given the recent Board Beatles Mania (TM), I think I'll have to vote U2.
So...your major reasoning is simply that you want to be in the minority?
It's the anti-lemming mentality. It's meant to counteract mob mentality, but paradoxically it requires the exact same lack of individual thinking (I think I've guilty of succumbing to both mob mentality and anti-lemming mentality in my day (but not at the same time)).
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I'm happy that I'm apparently beating U2 by a landslide.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Darth Fedora wrote:The correct answer is Queen.
Oh man. Some of the guys I work with are really into Queen. So most of their CDs mixes tend to be a little heavy on the Queen. The thing is, I don't know very much of their music, so it gets to me a little bit sometimes.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Ah, it was not meant to be "different," but just as you think U2 are (is?) overrated, I think the Beatles are good, but not necessarily God's gift to music. I'm with Cognoscente on "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime" by that . . . one guy whom I don't care to look up, who was a member of the Beatles . . . taking them down significant notches.

U2 songs like "Sunday, Bloody Sunday," really move me because of the historical events involved. Granted, they're not all like that, but I really do like them. The Beatles are great, and I think songs like "Yesterday," with the 7 measure-phrases, are rather revolutionary, but some of their stuff seems rather fluffy to me. And I hate their drug-addled later stuff. "I Am the Walrus" just annoys me.

So no, it wasn't just to be "cool" and not go with the crowd. I think I'd really rather buy a U2 album than a Beatles one.

Still, I voted for Hobbes--he really is quite a good musician, from the little I've heard.

P.S. Eh, I've just seen that the title of this is "Greatest Band Ever," and I don't think any of these 3 would top my list.
Last edited by Portia on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 727 »

Cognoscente wrote:I can't vote in this poll... I don't see an option for Bad Religion.
Cognescente, I am almost certain I have seen you all over campus. Did you get my PM about the show in Vegas? My friends said it was absolutely epic.

Okay, on topic... I agree with Me First and the Gimme Gimmes on their live album "Ruin Johnny's Bar Mitzpah." They introduced "Strawberry Fields Forever" by saying "This song is by the most overrated band of all time."
The Beatles may be the most influential band ever, but they are the most overrated band ever. They were just in the right place at the right time with the right connections. [/curmudgeonness]
Could you please walk back through the detectors again and empty out your backpack?
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Portia wrote:Ah, it was not meant to be "different," but just as you think U2 are (is?) overrated, I think the Beatles are good, but not necessarily God's gift to music. I'm with Cognoscente on "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime" by that . . . one guy whom I don't care to look up, who was a member of the Beatles . . . taking them down significant notches.
THANK YOU, Portia. Dear Lord I hate that song so much.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

727 wrote:Cognescente, I am almost certain I have seen you all over campus. Did you get my PM about the show in Vegas? My friends said it was absolutely epic.
I've approached you at least once. I dunno if you've seen me lately, since I don't get to campus much right now.

Sadly, I had work scheduled already, and couldn't make time for a Vegas trip. I WILL see them someday. If only they'd tour in SLC once in a while. I just wish more people here actually listened to them. They are genius.

Post by 727 »

Cognoscente wrote:
727 wrote:Cognescente, I am almost certain I have seen you all over campus. Did you get my PM about the show in Vegas? My friends said it was absolutely epic.
I've approached you at least once. I dunno if you've seen me lately, since I don't get to campus much right now.

Sadly, I had work scheduled already, and couldn't make time for a Vegas trip. I WILL see them someday. If only they'd tour in SLC once in a while. I just wish more people here actually listened to them. They are genius.
Dude, I KNEW that was you (are you 727?) but I doubted myself... I should never second guess myself. I think Kurt Madsen pointed you out and said he knew your brother or something like that... unless you don't have a brother and I am mistaking our interaction a month ago with the other 7,000 people I interact with every day. Yeah, I could definitely pick you out in a crowd now, though, haha. Neckbeard? Is that a good hint?

p.s. my informants say that Bad Religion said they would be coming to the SLC next year. I don't know if that's true though, because the Bosstones said that six years ago... Maybe they're just driving through Salt Lake on their way from Boise to Vegas or something.
Could you please walk back through the detectors again and empty out your backpack?
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

Speaking of Kurt Madsen... I know him pretty well.

Small world.