Pictures on the Board

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

What do you think of pictures on the 100 Hour Board?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:29 am

The more the better. A picture's worth a thousand words, right?
11%
I'm cool with pictures; they help explain things sometimes.
58%
They should be small and used sparingly, with links to the big pictures.
26%
I don't really like them. I like my witty answers straight up.
5%

Total votes: 19

Benvolio

Pictures on the Board

Post by Benvolio »

Cleaning Lady's enormous photo got me thinking about using pictures on the 100 Hour Board. The website has had the technical capability of posting pictures since about 2000, and it's been pretty easy to post pictures since about 2003. And yet the vast majority of posts are just words. What do you guys think?
- Benvolio
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Pictures are cool, not everything needs to have a picture granted, but there are those times where pictures help and greatly improve what is being explained.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Having the Board be mostly text means that we take up a lot less space on the NewsNet servers than we would otherwise, and it's made our many upgrades and server migrations much less of a headache. I don't mind the occasional picture, but I like it that most of our answers are text.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I voted for small and sparingly... However, somtimes the answers require pictures. (think HFAC and the Board Trading Card game.)
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

I definitely prefer small and used sparingly. Unless the picture actually adds to understanding the answer, it's just in the way. Extra pictures take up lots of space on the page, as well as on the server.
Portia

Post by Portia »

It's also worth noting that it's possible, and quite easy, really, to make your pictures smaller with the right HTML. I know in my early days I included some pretty honkin' pictures that might have merited shrinking.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Portia wrote:It's also worth noting that it's possible, and quite easy, really, to make your pictures smaller with the right HTML. I know in my early days I included some pretty honkin' pictures that might have merited shrinking.
Did you really just us honkin' in a sentence? You automatically qualify for about 15 new "awesome points."
Portia

Post by Portia »

Yes. Yes, I did.

Thank you.
jooniper

Post by jooniper »

I like the use of pictures, makes it more entertaining. Obviously not TOO big (I tihnk the cleaning lady's was a decent size, leaning towards too big). If you're concerned about taking up space on newsnet's servers, you can always keep the photos elsewhere (picasaweb or photobucket).
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Laser Jock wrote:I definitely prefer small and used sparingly. Unless the picture actually adds to understanding the answer, it's just in the way. Extra pictures take up lots of space on the page, as well as on the server.
Amen. Witty text is what separates us from... uh... lolcatz.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Hobbes wrote: Amen. Witty text is what separates us from... uh... lolcatz.
And good grammar.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Hobbes wrote:Witty text is what separates us from... uh... lolcatz.
Good example. I'm with Hobbes and Laser Jock. Less is more.
- Benvolio