Various Board Questions - Doctrinal Questions

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

wired

Various Board Questions - Doctrinal Questions

Post by wired »

Board Question #44689 - Journal of Discourses Question
Board Question #44691 - "Another Witness of Jesus Christ" Question
Board Question #44667 - Great Apostasy Question
Board Question #44459 - Role of Prophets and Apostles Question
Board Question #44494 - Joseph Smith and Polygamy

I've noticed that within the past month there has been a significant amount of doctrinal questions. (The bulk of these are from the pseudonym What Is Truth.) These questions have nearly all been toward the top of their respective day's posts. This pattern has popped a few, not necessarily related, questions to mind.

1) What determines the post order of the questions posted? What is the lurking variable that is putting these questions so close to the top of the page?
2) Do people feel these questions are actually sincere quests for truth, or just someone phrasing ideas they've read in literature that is antagonistic towards the LDS faith?

I have no problem with these questions being asked. Even more, I love the fact the board has an opportunity to respond to these questions so thoroughly. (The responses have been honest and extremely well done.) However, serving a full-time mission must have jaded me to the idea of concerned people who just want to "ask a few questions about our beliefs."
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I can answer the first question. The order of the questions comes from how old they are. Meaning, the ones at the top are usually the most over-hours questions, and the bottom are comments that aren't even 100 hours old. So my guess is that these are ending up on the top because the writers are taking extra time to make sure their answers are perfect, so they might be a little overdue time-wise.

I remember when I had a question go major over hours (a few weeks, as I recall), I was so excited to have one actually post at the top someday. But then there was a question that posted that same day with just a few more hours that mine. Sadness.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Various Board Questions - Doctrinal Questions

Post by Katya »

wired wrote:2) Do people feel these questions are actually sincere quests for truth, or just someone phrasing ideas they've read in literature that is antagonistic towards the LDS faith?
Well, we have a policy of deleting blatantly anti-Mormon questions, so if they're posting, we're assuming that the person's questions are sincere. And I think that they've been pretty respectful, up to now.
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

I've actually had some personal e-mail correspondence with "What is Truth". I won't go into too much detail, but I do know that these questions represent a genuine interest in understanding LDS doctrine and culture.

As for the anti-anti-Mormon bias mentioned by wired, I personally believe that truth withstands scrutiny, so even when there was some question about the sincerity of these questions, I took the position that we should answer the question. Answering the question with the truth will never hurt, and in our particular situation you never know who else will be reading.

I think that in general, we should try to avoid the assumption that anyone who has questions or doubts about LDS beliefs is automatically an "anti-Mormon." If we (speaking as people and not as the Board) only accept questions about the Church from people who haven't done any research on their own, I think we're missing an extremely valuable portion of the population.

After all, wasn't Joseph Smith doing the same thing?
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Yellow wrote: I think that in general, we should try to avoid the assumption that anyone who has questions or doubts about LDS beliefs is automatically an "anti-Mormon." If we (speaking as people and not as the Board) only accept questions about the Church from people who haven't done any research on their own, I think we're missing an extremely valuable portion of the population.

After all, wasn't Joseph Smith doing the same thing?
I concur, because there are bound to be some LDS people who have deeper questions that can't find the answers. There are such questions, as answered by Dragon Lady yesterday that not many know the answer to. Those such as Pa Grape and other knowledgeable writers on the board have vast pools of knowledge that can be shared, and frankly, I think it sets a the Board a little higher than just being Question/Answer reference guide with silly questions in between.

The doctrinal answers and advice given, including the love and real concern set the board apart from other who attempt to do the same. I think Yellow is an exceptional example myself of a guy who cares enough that he's even willing to meet with confused beginning software programmers to help answer a few questions.

So for my part, to all the board writers, I give a standing applause to each of them, with some Sir Mr. Feeny Sir added into the mix.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
So for my part, to all the board writers, I give a standing applause to each of them,
I agree.
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Yellow wrote:I think that in general, we should try to avoid the assumption that anyone who has questions or doubts about LDS beliefs is automatically an "anti-Mormon." If we (speaking as people and not as the Board) only accept questions about the Church from people who haven't done any research on their own, I think we're missing an extremely valuable portion of the population.
It's also to his (?) credit that he's coming to us for answers, instead of going to an anti-Mormon or DAMU site, where he could just have his own preconceptions smugly confirmed.
wired

Post by wired »

Agreed on the point Katya made. As I said, so long as there is real sincerity, the questions do not phase me at all. However, I have been on the receiving end of "curious" people before who merely phrase antagonistic remarks toward the Churchas a question merely to assault my beliefs. (It was a very common response from people opposed to our doctrine that I saw on my mission.) Alas, I think because of those experiences, I have become a little paranoid toward those who pose any question on subjects which are commonly used as attacks on my beliefs. Which means I have to be willing to remove that bias and preconceived notion in order to better respond to those who really are seeking truth.

Keep up the great work writers.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Did anyone say this? If not, to answer your first question, wired, the post order is determined by the number of hours it took to answer the question. That is why epic answers like the Magic Cards or the mysterious 8 AM whistle tend to be near the top. Nothing mysterious--all automated.

EDIT: and 42's answer is proving why I shouldn't read old threads when I'm tired but worried and sleepless. Yeah . . . what she said.