Cool and unusual classes

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Wisteria

Cool and unusual classes

Post by Wisteria »

Board Question 44797, coupled with Imogen's comments on her Star Trek class, have reminded me once again of what an incredible array of college classes there are available. What are the most unique or coolest classes you guys have taken? I was rather partial to Field Botany myself, where we all wandered around campus until our professor found a woody plant that we hadn't studied yet. Then he would stop and teach us the scientific and common names, as well as other interesting information such as whether or not the plant was edible.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

At my high school, there's a Bird-watching club, which is counterpart to a class about something along the same lines.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

My two favorite classes at BYU were calligraphy (I took both semesters because Sis. Nay was so fun), and an RMYL class called "Family recreation". Given that it was spring term, the recreation class was held just Thursday evenings. We only had actual lecture for one night, and even that was interesting - about how important bonding activities are in a family, and how to create meaningful traditions. Then we rotated being in charge of an activity for the evening, and the professor's kids came along to add the family dynamic. So one night we went ice blocking, another time we rode tandem bikes up the canyon and had foil dinners. Then our culminating activity was a 5 day rafting trip in Southern Utah that cost $40 for food and gas, and they even let my fiance come too. BEST. CLASS. EVER.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

BYU Idaho has a fencing to choose from. Excellence there.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Hmm . . . as I mentioned recently, in high school, I took a dance independent study class, where I got to teach third-graders (to them, death=holding the hand of someone of the opposite gender), work on our ballet performance, hit the weight room, whatever. It was fun.

I really liked Biology mentored research (495R). I cut and pasted lots and lots of genes into an excel spreadsheet. We were studying what causes cleft lip. Pretty cool.

I took Romanian 101. Loved it! It was funny; almost everyone in there was going to Romania, and they weren't so much linguists (more social science-y types). Ah, that beautiful case system . . . :P
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:It was funny; almost everyone in there was going to Romania, and they weren't so much linguists (more social science-y types). Ah, that beautiful case system . . . :P
You'd think the linguists would get some respect in that sort of class, though . . .
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

In high school, I really liked my MDT class, especially the final half term where we basically could do whatever we wanted as long as we stayed in the classroom. Plus it had the best homework ever, such as bursting into song in a public place, taking note of the reactions, and reporting back to our teacher.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Portia wrote:It was funny; almost everyone in there was going to Romania, and they weren't so much linguists (more social science-y types). Ah, that beautiful case system . . . :P
You'd think the linguists would get some respect in that sort of class, though . . .
Oh, those of us who had taken at least few years of foreign language got respect, all right (from the teacher, at least), but it seemed more like a partner course to their internship prep class. Haha.
Giovanni Schwartz

bobtheenchantedone wrote:In high school, I really liked my MDT class, especially the final half term where we basically could do whatever we wanted as long as we stayed in the classroom. Plus it had the best homework ever, such as bursting into song in a public place, taking note of the reactions, and reporting back to our teacher.
MDT?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote:In high school, I really liked my MDT class, especially the final half term where we basically could do whatever we wanted as long as we stayed in the classroom. Plus it had the best homework ever, such as bursting into song in a public place, taking note of the reactions, and reporting back to our teacher.
MDT?
Music, dance, theater.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i loved my philosophy and contemporary issues class. we read kant and mill (i love mill), and then we'd read philosophical articles about current events like abortion, gay marriage, euthanasia, etc. it was SO AWESOME!!! my professor was brilliant, and we had a lot of great discussions.

last semester (which feels sooooo long ago) i took a class called "paratheatre" which was about performativity. when do we perform, why do we perform, what IS performance? (the answer is everything!).

and i tok a class called "fashion and the feminine" which was about the politicization of women's clothes and bodies. and we got to read persepolis. reading graphic novels for class is so awesome.

those classes were my greatest hits. star trek was amazing, but it was a "just for fun" class.
beautiful, dirty, rich
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

My less unique favorite class was water aerobics. All my friends were in it and we had a great time. Also I had a class that was shadowing authors and publishers so for a few hours every week I'd go and learn about a different aspect of publishing books. Of course, my life goals have changed so it's no longer useful, but I met some pretty cool people. And my favorite unique class had to be the kayaking class I took. It was in a heated indoor pool without fish water so I got the illusion of being sporty without actually having to put up with the uncomfortable parts of kayaking. I plan to take that class again some day. My arms were so awesomely toned by the end.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

chillygator wrote:My less unique favorite class was water aerobics. All my friends were in it and we had a great time. Also I had a class that was shadowing authors and publishers so for a few hours every week I'd go and learn about a different aspect of publishing books. Of course, my life goals have changed so it's no longer useful, but I met some pretty cool people. And my favorite unique class had to be the kayaking class I took. It was in a heated indoor pool without fish water so I got the illusion of being sporty without actually having to put up with the uncomfortable parts of kayaking. I plan to take that class again some day. My arms were so awesomely toned by the end.
What? Shadowing authors and publishers? That sounds like a class for me...
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

I think my favorite class I've ever taken was a legal clinic class. I represented Spanish-speaking victims of domestic violence and defended a man who was falsely accused of molesting his daughters. Not your average class, but definitely the most rewarding.
- Benvolio
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

I'm involved in a Comic Books in America course next semester.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:
chillygator wrote:My less unique favorite class was water aerobics. All my friends were in it and we had a great time. Also I had a class that was shadowing authors and publishers so for a few hours every week I'd go and learn about a different aspect of publishing books. Of course, my life goals have changed so it's no longer useful, but I met some pretty cool people. And my favorite unique class had to be the kayaking class I took. It was in a heated indoor pool without fish water so I got the illusion of being sporty without actually having to put up with the uncomfortable parts of kayaking. I plan to take that class again some day. My arms were so awesomely toned by the end.
This is clearly one of the reasons I'm such an awesome person. (o:

Actually, I got that class because I have a friend who's an author (now moved to Arizona) and I had my last period of the day free so...she suggested making a class out of it. We did, she mentored me and funtimes were had by all.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

chillygator wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote:
This is clearly one of the reasons I'm such an awesome person. (o:

Actually, I got that class because I have a friend who's an author (now moved to Arizona) and I had my last period of the day free so...she suggested making a class out of it. We did, she mentored me and funtimes were had by all.
See, all my friends who kinda like writing sometimes or who once wanted to be writers and have now changed their minds have all met authors, hung out with authors, been best friends with authors... and here's me, working hard to become the best writer I can, with nary an author to be seen.

Well, aside from my aunt. But she doesn't count. : D
Giovanni Schwartz

chillygator wrote:My less unique favorite class was water aerobics.
I'm certified to teach this in the City of Mesa.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Very impressive, Giovanni. Also, are there any bio majors out there who have had Dr. Bradshaw? I was suddenly hit by fond memories of listening to him lecture- mostly when I took a "learning how to teach biology" class from him.

Post by 727 »

Geez, I don't think mine can stack up with these. My two favourite 'unusual' classes were welding in high school and ice hockey in college. I liked ice hockey so much, I went to all four class periods a week!
Could you please walk back through the detectors again and empty out your backpack?