#45495 Resumes

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

#45495 Resumes

Post by Fredjikrang »

Have you used any other programs besides Word to make a resume? The last resume that I made was put together in Indesign. :)
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I admit, I've only ever used Word for resumes.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Re: #45495 Resumes

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Fredjikrang wrote:Have you used any other programs besides Word to make a resume? The last resume that I made was put together in Indesign. :)
I know there are others out there, but I have only used Word to create my resume as well.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

I have always used a word processor (in my case, OpenOffice) to create my resumes. However, I've considered using a spreadsheet before, since it would help with some of the columns and formatting difficulties I often face when I use a word processor.

If you create your resume in another program, make sure you make a PDF copy of it, in case you have to send it electronically. In fact, you should never give a potential employer your resume in the existing Word file, since they can look at the document history and potentially reveal things like past GPA's or places of employment that you have chosen to omit from the resume.
- Benvolio
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Benvolio wrote:I have always used a word processor (in my case, OpenOffice) to create my resumes. However, I've considered using a spreadsheet before, since it would help with some of the columns and formatting difficulties I often face when I use a word processor.
I always put everything in a table, then make the table borders invisible.
Benvolio wrote:If you create your resume in another program, make sure you make a PDF copy of it, in case you have to send it electronically. In fact, you should never give a potential employer your resume in the existing Word file, since they can look at the document history and potentially reveal things like past GPA's or places of employment that you have chosen to omit from the resume.
In the past, I've formatted everything in one document, then cut and pasted everything to a new document and sent that one to the employer. I assume that you can't see the history if you do that. (I'm gainfully employed, so I must be doing something right . . .)
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I wrote a resume for English class.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I wrote a resume for English class.
I think I did too, about 10 years ago. I can't remember what I put on there, though. I had no specific skills, no legitimate employment history, and no educational degree.
- Benvolio
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Benvolio wrote: I think I did too, about 10 years ago. I can't remember what I put on there, though. I had no specific skills, no legitimate employment history, and no educational degree.
Yeah, my sister just did her first one and has that as well, no job experience, just high school graduation that she just got.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
jooniper

Post by jooniper »

I actually use excel. I'm a weirdo, but I love having control over the spacing, and you can do fancy color/border effects. I think it's lame now in retrospect (I put THAT on my resume?), but here's one from a few years ago made in excel: http://kennyandjenni.com/jenni/resume.pdf
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

You sacrificed your anonymity? Wow... That's... dedication? I guess
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:You sacrificed your anonymity? Wow... That's... dedication? I guess
Unless she changed her name on it, which is possible.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Unlikely considering the webpage it is posted on.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Fredjikrang wrote:Unlikely considering the webpage it is posted on.
True.
jooniper

Post by jooniper »

I'm not a writer (alas), and none of the info on that resume (including my name) is still accurate. I've since got married and moved out of state. Well, the email address is the same. that is all. :)