Charity

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Dragon Lady

Re: Charity

Post by Dragon Lady »

So, my parents went on a mission. (Or rather, they're leaving soon, but their "farewell" was yesterday.) So this weekend I spent a bunch of time going through my stuff. Trashing and DI'ing a bunch of it, and bringing a bunch of it home. Including 4 large garbage bags of stuffed animals. (Yes, I loved stuffed animals as a child.) Well, that's way too many for our tiny 2-bedroom condo. And too many for one child. (Don't tell my 7-year old self that.) So I've been sorting them into ones I love and ones I can give away. (And the Toy Story believing part in me feels REALLY guilty about this!) So I was thinking that I could give them to your work, Black Sheep.

Just promise me that this won't be Toy Story 3. Promise? I feel guilty enough as is. :)
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Hahaha, I promise. :) I'm the lead in the toddler room, and I can hereby swear that I let them destroy zero toys. Pseudoname loves stuffed animals like no one I've ever known, so because of her I have a connection to them and I don't let the kids abuse them. And when stuff like our board books finally wear out, we either repair them (thanks for the book repairing skills, mom!) or recycle them (I just turned one Sesame Street board book into a series of three- to six-piece puzzles). We take really good care of our toys.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Alright. I believe you. [weight off my chest] Now I just have to get them washed up and stitched up. So, uh, forgive me if I take a few decades to get them to you.
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

Way back on the subject of Ben and Jerry, I think a lot of people don't realize that giving money to charity creates jobs just as any kind of business operation would. Even if you give to a cause that's purely "give a man a fish" — say, $100,000 for building clean wells in a far-off village so the people can drink for free — where is that money being spent? Materials, certainly (which are manufactured—thus creating jobs), transportation of materials (the truck drivers, the company that makes trucks, and the gas station all do work and receive income from this), and possibly the labor of actually assembling the well. To name a few.

Here's a simplified economic principle: any time you spend money, you are purchasing labor. The beneficiary of that labor can be yourself (if you keep what you bought) or somebody else (if you give it away). But whether Ben and Jerry build an ice cream factory or give away first aid kits, they're creating jobs.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Sauron's post reminds me of a time at a restaurant in Utah when we overheard a girl at another table say, "How can they complain about taxes when they put so much money in their temples? They should put that money back into the economy."

I guess she thinks we use dollar bills for wallpaper?
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

P.S. I want to thank everybody for their insights on this thread. It's nice to have your perspectives, and to see things in a fresh light. No, Emiliana, business is definitely not my strong point - I just make the things we sell and then hope for best - but if I can use it for good (and I am, I guess, in that I'm using it to support my family) then I certainly will. And I'm a little jealous of this group service project. Has it happened yet?
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

No it hasn't, as I got busy moving and sort of haven't done anything about it yet.

Anyone who is interested in doing some sort of group service project (be it for the House of Hope or not), email me at byublacksheep at gmail dot com. Exciting!
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

And Sauron, I'd never thought about it like that. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

Black Sheep - um, are you planning awesome service activities without inviting me? *pouts*
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Oh Unlucky Stuntman, I'd never not invite you. Oh the double negatives. If you'd just read the Board Board you'd know about these things.

But seriously, you have to email me, cause I'm not assuming that anyone wants in on this. If I don't get an email, I'm not emailing you.
UnluckyStuntman

um, I DO read the board board, I just don't comment much. I'm what they call a "lurker."
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

You and I both, brother/sister. Though you're even worse than me.
UnluckyStuntman

hey, I'm workin' on it okay! maybe i'll even crash one of these mythical reader parties that i hear so much about...
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

UnluckyStuntman wrote:hey, I'm workin' on it okay! maybe i'll even crash one of these mythical reader parties that i hear so much about...
For you, I'd arrange it specifically. I've been told I need to cook some Mexican food for the parties, so that's probably what will happen for the next party.
Deus ab veritas
UnluckyStuntman

Marduk wrote:
UnluckyStuntman wrote:hey, I'm workin' on it okay! maybe i'll even crash one of these mythical reader parties that i hear so much about...
For you, I'd arrange it specifically. I've been told I need to cook some Mexican food for the parties, so that's probably what will happen for the next party.
I'm both very flattered and so there. I super love Mexican food.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Has anyone who frequents this board done much work with international nonprofits? I suppose Emaliana fits that description . . . I am in the beginning stages of working with a Kenyan woman (in Kenya) on setting up a nonprofit of sorts based out of Nairobi- and there's so much I don't know about all the legalities and formalities . . .
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Oh, what are you planning to do? Nairobi is a huge city with *so* many needs.

I don't do much with the bureaucratic end of things, but I do work for a nonprofit in East Africa. The best advice I can give, though, is this: It's not *what* you know, it's *who* you know. Networking is critical. If you're trying to get get something official done, you're much more likely to succeed if you're on a first-name basis with someone in the office. (A few weeks ago our power was off for three or four days. We called the local office half a dozen times, called the head office in the capital, walked to the local office to complain ... No success. Until one of my housemates talked to one of her coworkers who has a friend who's a technician who came out and fixed it.) That said, I don't know specifics of what you'll need to do, but I know people working for NGOs in Nairobi who might be able to help you figure it out. Message me with some more details about what you're doing and I'll see if I can put you in contact with someone who might be useful.