I am not a building!

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Portia

Re: I am not a building!

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:Sure! I had just explained to it Mr. Mico when I wrote this so I was tired of explaining. :D OK, you walk into the room and everyone sits down and there on the table are the ingredients to make a PB&J sandwich - bread, a jar of PB, a jar of jelly, a plate, a knife. The teacher gives everyone a piece of paper and asks you to write the instructions for making a PB&J sandwich. So, everyone writes. Typically, people say something like: "take out bread, put peanut butter on bread, put jelly on bread, put slices of bread together." And that's it.

Then everyone gives their papers to the teacher, who picks a few and follows the instructions extremely literally. So, step one, put peanut butter on bread? (S)he'll say something like "well... okay, if you say so!" And then proceed to set the jar of peanut butter on top of the bread. And then set the jar of jelly on the bread, and then maybe put a slice of bread on top. (Other people use this object lesson, too, sometimes in school to show people they need to be detailed when writing a paper, and also in other churches.) I hope I explained it well.
You explained it, but I'm still in untouched maiden mode. So my mind immediately jumps to "get a better sex manual? Is this the moral of the analogy?" Was this unrelated to nails and cupcakes?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Ahahaha, I should have clarified - it has NOTHING to do with sex or chastity. At all.

I'm not entirely sure what the moral was. OH WAIT, I'm remembering. I left out one part. (I'm apparently really bad at relaying things from church.) At the end she read a list of instructions that were perfect, and we then find out that the teacher had given one girl detailed instructions beforehand. So the moral was something like... if we have a goal (i.e., making a PB&J sandwich) then we need good instructions to be able to reach the goal (i.e., being told how to do it). And I guess God or Jesus gives us instructions to reach our goals (want to get to the Celestial kingdom? get baptized, get married in the temple, live a righteous life).

To be perfectly frank, I didn't get it and think that whole part of the lesson would have been better sans object lessons, and that is how I feel about most object lessons anyway.
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:Ahahaha, I should have clarified - it has NOTHING to do with sex or chastity. At all.

I'm not entirely sure what the moral was. OH WAIT, I'm remembering. I left out one part. (I'm apparently really bad at relaying things from church.) At the end she read a list of instructions that were perfect, and we then find out that the teacher had given one girl detailed instructions beforehand. So the moral was something like... if we have a goal (i.e., making a PB&J sandwich) then we need good instructions to be able to reach the goal (i.e., being told how to do it). And I guess God or Jesus gives us instructions to reach our goals (want to get to the Celestial kingdom? get baptized, get married in the temple, live a righteous life).

To be perfectly frank, I didn't get it and think that whole part of the lesson would have been better sans object lessons, and that is how I feel about most object lessons anyway.
But my goal is to get laid. :P

(I'm sure my comments would be deeply appreciated in Sunday School.)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Portia wrote:
mic0 wrote:Ahahaha, I should have clarified - it has NOTHING to do with sex or chastity. At all.

bahahahahahahaha
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

Portia wrote:

Portia, you're my hero.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.