evil book for grade-schoolers

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Portia

evil book for grade-schoolers

Post by Portia »

Well, my boyfriend and not-boyfriend (the latter is always confused by Mormon culture) have heard this rant, but I just can't stop thinking about this book.

Of course you have different expectations of teenagers and grade-school children argh argh argh.

Just one of this book's gems.
You drink a can of beer when a friend dares you to try some.

CONSEQUENCE:

A. You will be worthy to go to the temple to perform baptisms for the dead.
B. You will be given more courage to stand up to your friend next time.
C. You might feel sick, you could become addicted, and you will feel ashamed inside.
Man, we need to do something about this scourge of alcohol addiction/sexual activity/R-rated movie watching among the Kindergarten set. <rage>
Whistler

Re: evil book for grade-schoolers

Post by Whistler »

to be fair, I think it's aimed at 10 and 11-year-olds, but that is still pretty awful.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:to be fair, I think it's aimed at 10 and 11-year-olds, but that is still pretty awful.
It said 5-12-year-olds. Which as the sister of a twelve- (soon to be thirteen-) year-old sister, is just like, ???.

Oh, and the correct answer is A. and B. REPENTANCE, peeps, especially when you are a CHILD, and I hate, hate, hate this narrative that one sip/one make out/one questionable movie and you're doomed. It leads SO many Mormon kids to just be, like, "well, guess I'll become a binge drinker/sexually promiscuous now because I f***ed up." Which is a completely unhealthy way of dealing with shortcomings. I would tell my own children that caving into peer pressure is stupid but that in no way means that they can't be more courageous next time, and that they are perfectly "worthy" in my eyes.

NO ONE BECOMES AN ALCOHOLIC AFTER A CAN OF BEER.
nymofanym

Post by nymofanym »

Holy crap. I got a copy of this book as a wedding present. My opinion is that anyone who thinks highly of this book is insane.

The lady who gave it to me was my Mia Maids adviser - fun, cheerful and all of that. Then she prematurely gave birth to triplets, who very sadly died soon after. She brought them to class for us to hold before she buried them. I am not joking. They smelled like very ripe bananas, which I can no longer eat. I recognize that this was all probably some mourning mechanism, but to hand around dead babies to fourteen year olds without their parents knowledge or consent is very not cool.

Sorry, got a bit off topic. Point is, people who like and recommend this book are also people who I believe have real judgement issues.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

You got this book for a wedding present???? Why?
nymofanym wrote:Then she prematurely gave birth to triplets, who very sadly died soon after. She brought them to class for us to hold before she buried them. I am not joking. They smelled like very ripe bananas, which I can no longer eat.
WHAT THE #$(*?!???

..... WHAT?
Portia

Post by Portia »

What the ever-loving hell
Violet

Post by Violet »

I just... WHAT?!

I am flabbergasted.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Post that, word for word, as a review on Amazon. It is no more than that book deserves.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

nymofanym wrote:They smelled like very ripe bananas, which I can no longer eat.
I apologize if this is making light of the situation, but I imagine I will not be able to eat a banana in the future without cradling it in my arms like a baby. How I never thought to do this before is rather perplexing to me.