Credit Report Dispute

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Portia

Credit Report Dispute

Post by Portia »

I have an erroneous charge (of nearly a grand!) from four years ago on my credit report. Yikes.

I was sent this article in the NYTimes -- anyone else had to deal with these bureaus? Snail mail three agencies, really? Were you able to successfully resolve it?
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Re: Credit Report Dispute

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I haven't had to do it myself, but the benefit of dealing with it is that if the company you are disputing doesn't reply, it's automatically resolved in your favor. I'd recommend typing your letter so you can just print and send multiple times if need be.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Portia

Post by Portia »

This alarming story makes it sound like it could just be bought up again. I'm going to ask our CEO, who went to Harvard Law, what he thinks I should do.
Haleakalā

Post by Haleakalā »

Don't just sent a letter. You must use their forms or they don't have to acknowledge it. Clark Howard had a pretty good guide:

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-h ... ort/nCkPL/

I didn't need these instructions, but a friend of mine did. I think he got it resolved, but I'm not sure.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Is the "credit issuer" in this case the apartment complex, or the collection agency? Do you know?

Thanks for the link.
Haleakalā

Post by Haleakalā »

Portia wrote:Is the "credit issuer" in this case the apartment complex, or the collection agency? Do you know?

Thanks for the link.
In my friend's case, he had to talk to the credit reporting companies and the bank that he supposedly owed. I think the "credit issuer" is the person you owe money, but I'm not sure if that's the complex or the collection agency. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Haleakalā wrote:
Portia wrote:Is the "credit issuer" in this case the apartment complex, or the collection agency? Do you know?

Thanks for the link.
In my friend's case, he had to talk to the credit reporting companies and the bank that he supposedly owed. I think the "credit issuer" is the person you owe money, but I'm not sure if that's the complex or the collection agency. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
No, thanks, it was helpful. I tend to freak out in situations like this, so hearing that someone else had success is encouraging.