Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Cognoscente

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by Cognoscente »

I'm listening to Amy Poehler's audiobook of Yes Please! and it's inspiring and really funny.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I liked her book but didn't really find it particularly funny. It was sweet, though, and inspiring for sure.

Today I listened to my ipod on shuffle during my commute and an EFY song came on! Man, most of those were terrible music in general, including this one. :D It was funny though to hear it and think about the lyrics differently than I did as a teenager and of course still remember all the lyrics.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

This article about fasting in different religious traditions was interesting, if a little sparser on details than I'd like.
Violet

Post by Violet »

So for the last ~24 hours, I've been listening to the cast recording for Hamilton thanks to NPR's first listen.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I listened to the entire audio recording of Mockingjay yesterday. That was fun. I hate the super long work days. Now I just need to find some more good audiobooks to listen to. Preferably ones I can get for free by renting them through the school's library or salt lake county's library. Any recommendations?
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Violet

Post by Violet »

Have you read Yes, Please or BossyPants? I really appreciated them as audiobooks. Also, good for you for taking advantage of OverDrive.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Good answer on Quora about the Matrix. So Neo was never a human; he was a program programmed to think he was a human, and the "real world" viewers saw was just another simulation to transfer the minds of rebellious humans to when they caused too much disturbance in the 20th century simulation, and at the end of the trilogy, the machines don't release humans into the real world, they just stop fighting in the runoff simulation (Zion).
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

is it head canon, or is it real??
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

okay I think this site answers my questions http://www.thematrix101.com/reloaded/meaning.php
Portia

Post by Portia »

Reading Kate Bolick's Spinster. There's a lot I can relate to -- not least that we both lost our mother to cancer at the same age -- and I enjoy her examination of being unmarried from an unconventional angle.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Hamilton. Can't stop listening to it. It's INCREDIBLE. It's funny, smart, quick. Parts of it literally leave me breathless. I still cry when listening to act 2.

Hamilton. Listen to it now.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Portia

Post by Portia »

You and Me (But Mostly Me) just came up on my iTunes, shuffled. Usually I can't handle this album, but this song is hilarious.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Followed by "Friend is a Four Letter Word," which seems à propos for this past couple of months. -_-
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

A linguistic analysis of Dogespeak: http://the-toast.net/2014/02/06/linguis ... -doge-wow/
Portia

Post by Portia »

Listened to "Smile, my @$$" on Radiolab today. Yay Radiolab!
Digit

Post by Digit »

How is Ben Carson both so incredibly smart and so spectacularly stupid? I have wondered this quite a bit whenever he came up in the news.
Part of that article:
So how do we explain this contradiction? All of us have some things we know a lot about and some things of which we're ignorant. Some of us are extraordinarily good at reading people and understanding social relations, but are helpless when it comes to math; others are just the opposite. Some of us pick up languages easily, others don't. Intelligence is complex and varied.

But what's so odd about Carson is that science is the very thing he was trained in, and the thing at which he excelled. Yet his religious beliefs are apparently so powerful that they completely overwhelm his ability to look objectively at any scientific area that might give some answers to what people once thought were purely metaphysical questions.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interesting. Tony Dow, Wally from the old TV show Leave it to Beaver is a pretty good sculptor.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Cognoscente wrote:I'm listening to Amy Poehler's audiobook of Yes Please! and it's inspiring and really funny.
So I had misremembered this as Mindy Kaling's Why Not Me?. Read it in a day yesterday. Had some laugh-out-loud funny parts, but overall, I like structured narratives more than anecdotal books.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Listening to Stromae's Racine Carrée. Holy crap it's good.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Go watch this video.

And then think about this:
Stromae revealed that his father was killed during the 1994 Rwandan Genocide.
... ... Incroyable.