Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by Whistler »

Portia wrote:I know we have a couple of serious gamers -- Cogs, and Whistler has done Indie game reviews (and alpha testing?).

A Wikipedia rabbit hole led me to We Happy Few: it looks like BioShock meets Brave New World. I've been really into the Uncle Jack YouTube videos. :P

Has anyone played it/heard about it? It's still a bit pricey for apparently not having the kinks worked out. If anyone tries is during the alpha or later, let me know how you like it! I think video games have really evolved in the past several years to be a storytelling/art form unto themselves (and I don't consider myself a "gamer").

http://store.steampowered.com/app/320240/
Most steam games go on sale at some point in their life cycle. Unless you're super pumped to play it right away, I'd wait until it's officially out of development and on sale (and if you do buy it, make sure your computer can run it). Their art style looks really interesting! It sounds like it could be a cool game. It would be nice to have an open-world game with more options than killing everything.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I'm reading "The Pun Also Rises" and I think a LOT of you all would enjoy it.

I also just bought "The Disappearing Spoon" because the ebook is on sale on Barnes & Noble today and I think quite a few people around here have recommended it before.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

My wife and I watched season one of Mad Men over spring break. Consider me officially hooked.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Finished Big Little Lies last night. It was amazing. All the Emmys for Nicole Kidman.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I'm currently hooked on The Magicians! Caution though, it does contain some pretty heavy topics including drug abuse, mental illness, rape, and more but I feel it handles them in a very appropriate way.

Also, about a year ago I asked The Board for podcast recommendations and This American Life was suggested. I've been hooked for a year and have even introduced a coworker to TAL.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Digit

Post by Digit »

Detectives use font knowledge for investigation. story
The document is dated 2006. But it was typed using Calibri. And, as the investigators noted in their report, that font was not commercially available until the following year.
I love it :)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Digit wrote:Detectives use font knowledge for investigation. story
The document is dated 2006. But it was typed using Calibri. And, as the investigators noted in their report, that font was not commercially available until the following year.
I love it :)
:lol: :lol:
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Since my new job literally has given me nothing to do in the 8 weeks that I've been there (literally literally, not figuratively literally), I've been reading books from my teenage years. Specifically, the Eragon series.

The books are a lot worse than they seemed when I was a kid (poorly written, etc.) Still invested like 20 hours into the series, so I've got to see it through. I also realized that I never read the 4th book in the series (and remembered literally nothing of the 3rd book), so I want to see how it ends.

I hope that the bad guy wins, because the good guys are all terrible characters and people.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Ha. Found this while reading about the voice change on my phone. So there’s an assistant professor in the department of linguistics at the University of British Columbia named Molly Babel.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

thanks for the read! interesting