Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
C is for
um Administrator

Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by C is for »

Whatever, I just figured a year and several thousand posts was enough.
Digit

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Digit »

Speaking of Happy Days, it's kind of sad that Ralph, Potsie, Joanie, and Mrs. C. (the actors that play them, actually) lost to CBS in the recent case in which CBS was using their images and likenesses on Happy Days slot machines and they got squat.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Today we started to move into our house. The movers were supposed to come, but cancelled due to high winds. At first I was bummed about that, but now that today is over, I'm glad. I'm exhausted. I may go to bed by 9. Now movers are coming tomorrow. The only bad part is that Yellow took today off work and not tomorrow. so I get to direct movers. By myself. Joy. In good news, grandma is watching Dragon Baby, so I don't have to worry about that.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Dragon Lady, I played seaside the other day. You played it? Anyway, I think pirate ship would put a big cramp in your "big money" strategy.
Deus ab veritas
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Marduk wrote:Dragon Lady, I played seaside the other day. You played it? Anyway, I think pirate ship would put a big cramp in your "big money" strategy.
I haven't. It's the one non-new expansion I haven't played. Also, there are a lot of cards that put a damper on Big Money. Like thief. Or gardens (if I choose that strategy).
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

True, but the pirate ship in particular. It is one of the most potent counters to it.

I just brought it up since you were so proud of it.
Deus ab veritas
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Nah. I rarely play big money anymore. I used to and won all the time. But it got boring. I'll sometime use a semblance of it when I want to. Uh something expensive quickly, but then I usually buy lots of actions soon thereafter. it's a useful strategy, but so are many other strategies. And when you play all the time, you get to recognize other, more fun, strategies.

But I'm glad you thought of me. Since I was, in fact, Big Money Queen for awhile.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

If you are not signed in to Facebook, can you still see this photo?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?f ... =3&theater
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Katya wrote:If you are not signed in to Facebook, can you still see this photo?

Dude. Katya. How in the world do you know about this picture? Do you know the artist? I've been wanting to see this picture for ages. He was supposed to tell me when he made it digital. But my grrr-ing at him aside, I'm curious how small of a world this is. (And sorry, I can't answer your question. I'm signed into Facebook and don't have time for testing right now.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yes
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Whistler wrote:

yes
Lovely. Thanks.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Oh sure. You respond to Whistler, but not me. :P
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:Oh sure. You respond to Whistler, but not me. :P
:!: I didn't see your response for some reason.
Dragon Lady wrote:Dude. Katya. How in the world do you know about this picture? Do you know the artist?
No, I subscribe to the Springville Art Museum news feed on Facebook and I wanted to see if their pictures were visible to people who weren't fans of the page. I just chose the picture at random.
Dragon Lady wrote:I've been wanting to see this picture for ages. He was supposed to tell me when he made it digital. But my grrr-ing at him aside, I'm curious how small of a world this is.
Not quite as small as you thought it was, apparently. ;) I'm glad to hear you know him, though, because I looked for more information about him and I wasn't able to find any. Does he have a website?
Digit

Post by Digit »

For the first time, I looked for something significant on Wikipedia and it wasn't there. NASA Confirms First Planet in Habitable Zone of Sun-like Star. No article for planet Kepler-22b or even star Kepler-22. Wikipedia asleep at the wheel. :)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Digit wrote:For the first time, I looked for something significant on Wikipedia and it wasn't there. NASA Confirms First Planet in Habitable Zone of Sun-like Star. No article for planet Kepler-22b or even star Kepler-22. Wikipedia asleep at the wheel. :)
Gee . . . if only there was some way you could add that information. ;)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Katya wrote:
Digit wrote:For the first time, I looked for something significant on Wikipedia and it wasn't there. NASA Confirms First Planet in Habitable Zone of Sun-like Star. No article for planet Kepler-22b or even star Kepler-22. Wikipedia asleep at the wheel. :)
One of these days I'll learn how to Wikicode and reference things to the satisfaction of those people who love to undo other people's contributions. :)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Katya, well, he lives in Provo and is about your age, so I figured there might be a chance you knew him. Well, good job picking a random piece of artwork! :D You have good taste. He does, in fact, have a webpage. http://www.nickstephensart.com His religious art is quite new. There are only two right now (but he has plans for a Joseph in Egypt that he's working on) but they can be seen here: http://www.nickstephensart.com/new-reli ... ious-work/ Clicking on a thumbnail will bring up a bigger picture.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Digit wrote:
Katya wrote:
One of these days I'll learn how to Wikicode and reference things to the satisfaction of those people who love to undo other people's contributions. :)
Fair enough. I haven't started that many pages, myself, and my first attempt at creating a category was deleted almost as soon as anyone caught wind of it.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:he has plans for a Joseph in Egypt that he's working on
Ooh, that sounds very cool. Thanks for the info!

Also, do you know if the other two pieces are new this year? (The temple one is in the current Springville Art Museum show, so I'm assuming it's pretty recent.)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Katya wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:he has plans for a Joseph in Egypt that he's working on
Ooh, that sounds very cool. Thanks for the info!

Also, do you know if the other two pieces are new this year? (The temple one is in the current Springville Art Museum show, so I'm assuming it's pretty recent.)
Yup, they're both new. In fact, he swore he'd never do religious art, because he thinks it's incredibly tacky and such. (I don't remember all his reasoning, but I do remember him being adamant about it.) Then his brother came up with the idea for the temple picture, and Nick fell in love with the idea and felt like he should do it. So he made it his own style and so many people loved it that he decided to make prints of it (you can buy them on his website. It's his first ever selling of prints instead of the original, which apparently is quite large. Something like 6 feet tall). He entered it into the Springville show (which doesn't surprise me at all. He loves that show) and is also entering it to display at the Conference center. He'll find out, I think, at the beginning of the year if it gets in. When he was looking at printing options, he met the lady in charge of Deseret Book prints that they sell and she loved it. She told him that if he made two more, she'd take him and his art to her superiors and see if they could market them. He's flattered, though still not sure how he feels about that, so we'll see if it happens or not. But he already had ideas for more religious art at that point, so he kept doing them.

I found out about the temple picture (and everything I just told you) while we were living in Riverton. So late July at the very earliest. And at that point, he only had ideas for future projects. I had no idea he had another one done already until I emailed him about the one you posted and he replied telling me I could see better photos on his website, including a new one, and telling me about the next one he has planned.

And you can probably tell by my blabbering on, I'm really, really excited for him.