In the news

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Yarjka

Re: In the news

Post by Yarjka »

vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Would that be...tunnels smell? Make sure you are fit enough to hold your breath for 10 seconds without fainting? Never drive while holding your breath? If you can't take the smell of exhaust, get off the road before you hurt someone?
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

vorpal blade wrote:
Would that be...tunnels smell? Make sure you are fit enough to hold your breath for 10 seconds without fainting? Never drive while holding your breath? If you can't take the smell of exhaust, get off the road before you hurt someone?
It's a superstition thing--holding your breath while driving past graveyards, through tunnels, across bridges, that kind of thing.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

vorpal blade wrote:
Those are all pretty good lessons.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Tally M. wrote:
vorpal blade wrote:
It's a superstition thing--holding your breath while driving past graveyards, through tunnels, across bridges, that kind of thing.
Never heard of that superstition. Which reminds me of the thing about lifting your feet off the floor of the car when you drive over a cattle guard. Ever hear of that one? Maybe she just made that up because she wanted a kiss.
Digit

Post by Digit »

$40,000 per year for a private preschool in Manhattan for just a few hours each day.

"You think college is bad? Try getting into preschool on the Upper East Side,"

"To make their child stand out, Uhry said she's seen parents try it all. Some put their kids in socialization classes. One father claimed his 2-year-old was a violin virtuoso. And at least ten of Uhry's clients have asked President Clinton for recommendations. One client even requested a recommendation from the Pope."

:lol:
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interesting. A guy has alopecia universalis, an autoimmune disease that causes him to have no hair at all. His doctor gives him medicine originally intended to treat a different autoimmune disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and the guy grows eyebrows, eyelashes, a full head of hair, and the normal complement of body hair.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Digit wrote:Saddle seats on an airplane? No thanks.
Ugh!
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Emiliana wrote:
Digit wrote:Saddle seats on an airplane? No thanks.
Ugh!
And I'm sure there will be a $20 fold-down fee too.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Don Pardo died. I wonder who will announce the guest hosts of SNL now.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Tom Hanks "makes" a typewriter app for text editing on a mobile device. I place makes in quotes because I'm pretty sure, and the article seems to reference the fact, that Hanks himself didn't write any of the source code. But it sounds like he provided the collection of typewriters (which he seems to be a lover of) for the app designer to use for design input. It looks like other styles of typewriters are available as in-app purchases. So now you can use your 21st century chip-driven mobile device to tap away at a virtual old-style typewriter with the Hanx Writer App. Skeuomorphism!
Digit

Post by Digit »

I'm of the opinion that 9-year-olds should not be touching uzis at all, professionally supervised or not.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Women rudely interrupted in meetings by men and contribute less (although when they do, they bring different considerations).
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Portia wrote:Women rudely interrupted in meetings by men and contribute less (although when they do, they bring different considerations).
Do men who rudely interrupt you intimidate you, Portia? In your personal experience do you find it more likely that men will rudely interrupt then women? And do individuals who rudely interrupt single out a paticular sex to victimize?
Portia

Post by Portia »

vorpal blade wrote:
Portia wrote:Women rudely interrupted in meetings by men and contribute less (although when they do, they bring different considerations).
Do men who rudely interrupt you intimidate you, Portia? In your personal experience do you find it more likely that men will rudely interrupt then women? And do individuals who rudely interrupt single out a paticular sex to victimize?
Did you even read the article? The research was done by a BYU professor and his Princeton colleague and it's on BYU's website. I would find peer-reviewed research more convincing than my anecdotal evidence, one way or another, frankly.

(And no, it's usually the other way around, if anything. I grew up in a household with very snappy turn-taking, regardless of gender.)

Sometimes I feel you don't take my credibility seriously.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Vorpal, you might find this post on Language Log interesting about how and when and whom men and women interrupt. It is of course not completely scientific and a smallish sample size, but it was written by a linguist with a background in these kinds of methods. I found it interesting, anyway. And here are a couple of follow-up posts by different authors examining what the first writer's results may mean and how they could be accurate and inaccurate -- 1 and 2. (These are also anecdotal, so still not as good as the original thing Portia posted, but not *as* anecdotal, haha. :))
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Portia wrote:
vorpal blade wrote:
Did you even read the article? The research was done by a BYU professor and his Princeton colleague and it's on BYU's website. I would find peer-reviewed research more convincing than my anecdotal evidence, one way or another, frankly.

(And no, it's usually the other way around, if anything. I grew up in a household with very snappy turn-taking, regardless of gender.)

Sometimes I feel you don't take my credibility seriously.
I read the article 6 times before I responded, and checked out links in the article about 2 times each. Next time, take me seriously.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

mic0 wrote:Vorpal, you might find this post on Language Log interesting about how and when and whom men and women interrupt. It is of course not completely scientific and a smallish sample size, but it was written by a linguist with a background in these kinds of methods. I found it interesting, anyway. And here are a couple of follow-up posts by different authors examining what the first writer's results may mean and how they could be accurate and inaccurate -- 1 and 2. (These are also anecdotal, so still not as good as the original thing Portia posted, but not *as* anecdotal, haha. :))
That was very interesting, Mic0. Much could be said about the research biases, methodology, and structuring your "take" on the data to reinforce your initial bias. There were lots of good comments made in the comment sections as well. Many of the same criticisms could be made of the data Portia referenced, and a very different conclusion could be reached with the same data.

Just in case it needs to be said I believe that much good comes from letting everyone participate in a discussion without feeling pressure to keep quiet. Women often have a different viewpoint from men, which is very valuable to have presented in a discussion, and I would want them to feel free to express themselves.
Violet

Post by Violet »

vorpal blade wrote: Just in case it needs to be said I believe that much good comes from letting everyone participate in a discussion without feeling pressure to keep quiet. Women often have a different viewpoint from men, which is very valuable to have presented in a discussion, and I would want them to feel free to express themselves.
But when you question what women say every time, even when they're citing other people, and demand they explain further ,I have a hard time believing that. Actions speak louder than words, and it doesn't seem you want to discuss (at least not here).