What makes you happy today?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Re: What makes you happy today?

Post by TheBlackSheep »

I just had the best New Year's Eve/New Year's Day in the history of ever.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Two of my grad school apps ... To schools in San Diego and Boulder ... Are complete! And thus I become a true Millennial. ;-)
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

As of Friday night I have a girlfriend. Soooooo that's pretty awesome. We've been friends for 16 years and she's wonderful and kind and giving and snarky and smart. She took me to Newport Beach over New Year's for my Christmas present in order to say goodbye to that terrible year in a really great way.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Yay Black Sheep!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Amity

Post by Amity »

Portia wrote:Two of my grad school apps ... To schools in San Diego and Boulder ... Are complete! And thus I become a true Millennial. ;-)
Portia! I used to live in San Diego but I don't anymore and I miss it terribly! So if you get admitted to the San Diego school I will tell you all about how you should live there and where all the good restaurants and beaches are.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Amity wrote:
Portia wrote:Two of my grad school apps ... To schools in San Diego and Boulder ... Are complete! And thus I become a true Millennial. ;-)
Portia! I used to live in San Diego but I don't anymore and I miss it terribly! So if you get admitted to the San Diego school I will tell you all about how you should live there and where all the good restaurants and beaches are.
Wonderful, thank you! The professors look awesome. We'll see if I can afford the beach, but I can at least bike year-round. :-)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

The past few years have been full of me wanting or needing to buy things but not having enough money, buying them but having others pay with a promise to pay back, buying only one of something because I didn't have enough money to stock up, etc.

After going a little crazy with the spending in preparation for my trip to Hawaii next week (!!!) I checked my bank account today. At this point I have purchased duplicates of items to test out and haven't yet returned the ones I don't want, purchased items of my very own that I could have borrowed from others, purchased new items when technically I could have done okay with things I already had, etc. I was sure by now I'd burned through my checking account and had started on my savings, and was only hoping the damage to my savings wasn't too bad since that's my Hawaii spending money.

I still have a $100 buffer, and the returns I'm making today, before I even start on my savings. This having a job and steady income thing is very nice.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Amity wrote:
I got in! I'm going to be visiting April 8 through 11. Send me a PM!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Portia wrote:
Amity wrote:
I got in! I'm going to be visiting April 8 through 11. Send me a PM!
hey congrats!

on the topic of what made me happy today: even though I'm a rich lady now, I still love shopping at DI. I found some cute board books and toddler dresses in weird prints (that hopefully not every other toddler will be wearing this summer... not sure why I even care about that, but baby/kid clothes seem especially subject to trends).
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Whistler, I love DI. I personally don't see anything wrong with thrift shopping even if you can afford "standard" stuff.

I'm going to be an adjunct professor for the linguistics department starting next fall.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I giant hammock arrived in the mail today. I just finished setting it up, and foresee many a lazy spring afternoon in my future.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Tally M. wrote:Whistler, I love DI. I personally don't see anything wrong with thrift shopping even if you can afford "standard" stuff.

I'm going to be an adjunct professor for the linguistics department starting next fall.
sweet!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Tally's response on her (new?) boyfriend reminded me that I'm weirdly ... Content? With being in a relationship. (Yes, the same one of the past four years.)

I like that he's affectionate, because I feel like I didn't get a lot of over affection growing up, haha.

And it just seems like it "fits," like that life is kind of a gongshow, but hey, you actually love me so let's go do crazy stuff together!

Trust is weird. For someone who's deathly allergic to being single, it's interesting that I feel more able to be myself, even alone, rather than being an artificial version of such. Moving in together is a big step, and I definitely still have some fears about marriage as a Concept, but it seems like the logical conclusion, so that's "huh."
larry_wayne

Post by larry_wayne »

What made me happy today? I took AP tests in May, and access opens up to view scores next week. But it turns out I arranged to have my scores sent to BYU, and they've already given me some credit for them. I just found out what I got based on their record summary. Three days early.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

That happened to me too, way back when. It's how I found out my scores. It was a nice surprise.

It is such an incredible relief to be dating someone who will give me more than I ask for when I am struggling rather than someone who will punish me for struggling. My messiah complex issues may be deeply ingrained, but I can be taught!

Also I have not discussed this in real-life public yet (though I mentioned it here) because I have been mulling it over for weeks, but you guys I am totally gay. How this escaped my notice until now is beyond me. Actually it isn't but I would need charts to express the huge amounts of heteronormativity, etc. involved to explain. Someone referred to me as queer the other day, which is an umbrella term and I used it exclusively for a long time so it's cool, but it sounded weird and chafing. Unfortunately I've already come out about a bazillion times, as that is the nature of things, but I am not looking forward to coming out again with all of those implications and arguments and fulfilled stereotypes. Maybe I just won't. Anyway, I am excited about being gay today too. So there you go.
Portia

Post by Portia »

TheBlackSheep wrote:That happened to me too, way back when. It's how I found out my scores. It was a nice surprise.

It is such an incredible relief to be dating someone who will give me more than I ask for when I am struggling rather than someone who will punish me for struggling. My messiah complex issues may be deeply ingrained, but I can be taught!

Also I have not discussed this in real-life public yet (though I mentioned it here) because I have been mulling it over for weeks, but you guys I am totally gay. How this escaped my notice until now is beyond me. Actually it isn't but I would need charts to express the huge amounts of heteronormativity, etc. involved to explain. Someone referred to me as queer the other day, which is an umbrella term and I used it exclusively for a long time so it's cool, but it sounded weird and chafing. Unfortunately I've already come out about a bazillion times, as that is the nature of things, but I am not looking forward to coming out again with all of those implications and arguments and fulfilled stereotypes. Maybe I just won't. Anyway, I am excited about being gay today too. So there you go.
Go you! It seems like there has been a positive convergence between coming to terms with your identity and this specific relationship dynamic. Hope your gay self continues to experience great things. :-)
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Thank you! I agree, regarding my current relationship being a very positive one for me.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Yesterday was my first depression-free day since the beginning of July. Yay for medicine working more obviously. (Today was not the same, but at least I know there's hope.)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Tally M. wrote:Yesterday was my first depression-free day since the beginning of July. Yay for medicine working more obviously. (Today was not the same, but at least I know there's hope.)
Hope you have more good days soon. <3
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

We went to visit my in-laws in Ohio over the weekend, and my husband and I were both kind of stressing about it because, well, the in-laws can be stressful. But it ended up being fun! The highlight was going out for a run in Amish country -- we saw as many horses and buggies as we did cars, the trees were just starting to turn colors, and the sun miraculously managed to come out.