Anyone ever been a contractor?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

Anyone ever been a contractor?

Post by Portia »

So I have actually become weirdly attractive to headhunters. I turned down a contract-based job that was double my current wage because the work, boss, and atmosphere seemed miserable. Another six-month-long one popped up -- the commute is bad (no car, that's important) and there are no benefits (welcome to Trumpistan) but I threw out half again as much for my wage and he said he could do that. I'm moving (hopefully...) in 5 months and wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the pros/cons.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Re: Anyone ever been a contractor?

Post by Emiliana »

I did some freelance writing for awhile and my aunt has done some contract-based copyediting. You might already be aware of this, but when someone gives you a number take into account how much your taxes will be--with a "normal" job the employer pays part of your income taxes and you pay the rest, and of course generally your taxes are withheld on your paycheck. With contracting you pay all of it, and sometimes it's harder to get anything withheld.
Portia

Re: Anyone ever been a contractor?

Post by Portia »

Emiliana wrote:I did some freelance writing for awhile and my aunt has done some contract-based copyediting. You might already be aware of this, but when someone gives you a number take into account how much your taxes will be--with a "normal" job the employer pays part of your income taxes and you pay the rest, and of course generally your taxes are withheld on your paycheck. With contracting you pay all of it, and sometimes it's harder to get anything withheld.
I ended up owing taxes this year despite our being the only year I've ever worked full time, at one job, all 12 months. Grr. Good thing to take into account.