What's your favorite pen?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Digit

What's your favorite pen?

Post by Digit »

I really like the form factor and line quality (when they work) of the Pilot Precise V5 Rolling Ball, but darned if I've had very bad luck with that pen's physical quality (the last three leaking on me--literally) which is why I switched to the Pilot G-2.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Shrinky Dink

Re: What's your favorite pen?

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I'm a big fan of pens. If I never had to use a pencil, I never would. I would write pretty hard and whenever I was taking spelling tests in elementary and my pencil would break pretty frequently. I would be too shy to get up and sharpen it, so I'd be stuck writing with a little nub. Whenever I take a test nowadays, I always have at least 3 pencils so that they're sharp. I've tried mechanical pencils, but I write hard enough that the led is constantly breaking and I run out. For me, pencils are evil.

My favorite nice pen is probably the Zebra Pen F-301. They write really nice, the ink lasts a long time, and I like how sleek it feels. The lines are crisp (thin) and continuous for me, but the tip can be sharp enough that if you write on a soft surface, you can poke through the paper way too easily.

My favorite 'disposable' pen would be BIC Ecolutions. They write nice, cost about the same as other pens you can get in a large pack, and even when they've gotten a little dry, they've come back to life very easily for me. The line is thicker than the Zebra and they don't seem to last as long, but they feel just as smooth.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I like the Sharpie pens and Pilot G-2 as well.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Pilot G2-07 for like 8 years now
Violet

Post by Violet »

Pilot G-2 (periwinkle is my favorite color, but I can only find it on JetPens), Staedtler fine liner, and Stabilo 88 are the current ones in my backpack (the other two are felt tip). I also have a Papermate clear point mechanical pencil—I bought a package of 2 when I started at BYU and I still have both. I currently have a Sharpie gel highlighter and a Staedtler text surfer highlighter and I think I prefer the chunky precision of the Staedtler one,
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Papermate Flair! They come in lots of fun colors, so when I'm grading I can switch it up. And it's so smooth. The only downside is that they run out of ink kinda fast....so sad to start marking up an essay in my favorite dark green only to have it stop working halfway through. :(
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I love the Parker jotters, they look classy and usually write well. It's just a pity they're expensive.
Digit

Post by Digit »

It seems to me that gels like the G2 dry on the page slightly quicker than the water-based rollerballs, which matters when you're left-handed, as at least some of your hand is going to go through what you just wrote. Of the varieties of left-handed writing shown here, my style is most like the second, though I don't slant my letters as they show; mine are pretty much vertical. I keep my hand mostly below the writing line with a bit of my little finger's knuckle getting on my writing about two words back, which by then is almost always good and dry.
There are some weird styles on that link. It would take a while for me to get used to writing up at an angle, straight up, or straight down.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Lately my favorite pen has been the Paper Mate InkJoy. They are fairly cheap (which is good because I lose things a lot) but tend to write a smooth line that doesn't smear as much as the G2 pens, which I used to use for grading.

I'm obviously not a super-fancy pen person, because I lose them all the time, but these make a nice, economical choice.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Portia

Post by Portia »

I'm on the Pilot G-2 .07 bandwagon. (I particularly like black, violet, and red.)

As far as WORST pen, the Staples Sonix Gel we have at work has to be the worst pen ever.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I'd vote Bic Cristal for worst. Those things seem to sputter out before a single paragraph is out for me.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I really like the Bic Ultimates.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.