Stuff to do on a long plane trip

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Cognoscente

Stuff to do on a long plane trip

Post by Cognoscente »

I'm going on a couple of long (trans-oceanic) flights next month. What are your favorite things to do in that situation?

I've got audiobooks and podcasts. I'm probably gonna spring for onboard wifi, so Netflix (I need to watch Jessica Jones!) and a few games. Could definitely use a book or two.

Any recommendations for any media or tips on things to bring?

Anyone have a drug of choice for making yourself sleep?
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Whistler

Re: Stuff to do on a long plane trip

Post by Whistler »

For sleeping pills, the pink benadryl (ugh I cant spell) works great for me, as does unisom. Your 3DS will definitely come in handy! If I need to zone out I like playing rhythm games but YMMV. Noise-cancelling headphones and a neck pillow are great if you want to try sleeping--just make sure the headphones or earplugs are comfortable enough to help you sleep.

Sometimes when I'm going on a vacation I'll borrow or buy some junky YA page-turner (I shouldn't call them junky but it's how I perceive them). I recently read To All the Boys I've Ever Loved, which is about a high school girl who is half-Korean who has to figure out how she feels about boys she used to have crushes on. Some kind of dystopian action book might be more your speed? Also if you haven't read HPMOR (Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality), it's free and very long and entertaining in both high-brow and low-brow ways, but also uneven in quality since it's a fanfic (but a really good one).
Digit

Post by Digit »

Comment: I thought Benadryl's labeled use was for itchiness. Am I wrong or is drowsiness a side effect significant enough for off-label use?
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Diphenhydramine which is the main ingredient in Benadryl (the antihistamine) is also the main ingredient in Unisom. Or it's another antihistamine. I can't remember which. But basically antihistamine=drowsiness.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Thanks, Violet.
Whistler wrote:dystopian action
reminds me of a movie preview I saw the other day for an upcoming film called The Fifth Wave.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.