Question for Zed or Nerd Girl (or other assorted Canadians)

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Amity

Question for Zed or Nerd Girl (or other assorted Canadians)

Post by Amity »

I used Canada's new Cabinet under Trudeau as an example of descriptive political representation in class a couple days ago, and a few students asked me how successful that Cabinet has been. So, for those of you who are more knowledgeable about Canadian politics than I am, how are they doing? From what I could Google easily the government has decently high approval ratings (higher than Harper's when he left office), but of course they're still in their honeymoon period. Anything else to add to my knowledge?

Hopefully one of you sees this in the next 20 hours before I teach next!
Zedability

Re: Question for Zed or Nerd Girl (or other assorted Canadia

Post by Zedability »

The only time I really hear about how it's doing is when some disgruntled conservative on my Facebook complains about something.

The only time I really heard about how Harper's cabinet was doing is when some disgruntled liberal on my Facebook complained about something.

Really though, they're doing fine. It's certainly not LESS effective. And I don't think enough stuff has really come up for them to be put to the test one way or the other. It's Canada. Politics are boring. We'll see whether it was effective 10 years from now.
Amity

Post by Amity »

Thanks for the insider perspective!
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I think they're doing really well.

The thing about Canadian politics, though, is that a lot of stuff is pretty decentralized. Stuff people care very deeply about, like healthcare and education, mostly happens at provincial levels. So changes in the federal government don't often have massive effects on people's every day lives.

One thing that will be interesting to see is what happens from the changes they've made to the child tax credit. It used to be that everyone with a child under 18 got X amount of money from the federal government in the form of a tax credit, but now they've changed it so that lower-income families get higher child tax credits, which will hopefully be a bit of a help to families that are struggling more financially.